Pub Names & What They Mean.

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

yorkiesknob wrote: Different pubs, Rutland [Now the Fox and Newt] was on Burley Rd on the left hand side heading out from the city just, past Marlborough tower flats.Highlander further along but behind the Telephone exchange Building one street back. Thanks for that Yorkie, I'm pretty sure the pub in your pic. is the one we used, though I don't remember the area being so built up around it. I do remember we used the room at the pointed end of the pub though, this was back in the seventies. Ta.    
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Its the 'Highland' not the 'Highlander'.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Bracken

Re: Pub Names & What They Mean.

Post by Bracken »

Regarding the Fulneck pub there is a full article in the latest Squeaker magazine.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

When i lived iin Leeds some years ago four of us used to spend early Saturday evening in some City Centre Pubs and always made a point of ending up in the Templar about 9 p.m. before heading back to Beeston to end the evening. A really pleasant place and good beer / clientlele.
Some time after the all day drinking hours came into force i asked one of the lads if he still called in Saturday's nights there.
His reply was " Having called in recently around 9.p.m. i would not go in there again without borrowing a Suit of Armour from Temple Newsam " and that maybe that's how it got it's name. The Knights popping in for a quick one.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Talking of pub names I wonder if anyone knows if the differing spellings of the very old General Eliott pub on Vicar Lane is an error or a deliberate mistake. The pub name and a large window state 'General Eliott' but on two other equally large windows it states 'General Elliot'. I'm :? but that's easily done ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

There is a thread headed LS1 General Elliot where Leodian asked the
same question but there was no answer from anyone circa June 2014.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Eliott is the correct spelling, which means that two of the etched windows are incorrect.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

dogduke wrote:There is a thread headed LS1 General Elliot where Leodian asked the
same question but there was no answer from anyone circa June 2014.
Hi dogduke. Apologies for not remembering that I have previously asked that question :oops:. Senility clearly setting in ever faster ;).

For anyone interested this is the link to that old thread http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=908 that began in 2008 but in which my query was on June 11 2014 (currently at least on page 3).

Thanks buffaloskinner for your help.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I wonder if any members ever went in the Crystal Palace Pub on Sweet Street.
Did not often go in apart from every Saturday lunch time
Once in in the 60s there was a man playing the piano for charity non stop, the barmaid (big chest) asked my pal and i to sponsor him for something like a shilling an hour.
Got a bloody shock when we called in the following week and the same barmaid (same big chest) brought down a board and said we owed about £5. it seems he had played for days and nights over the weekend and beyond.
We came out sick as as a Fiver was quite an amount back then.

Hel66

Post by Hel66 »

I'm having a clear out (being super ruthless!!!) and found this for The Dexter at Shadwell/Slaid Hill.
I knew it was named after the breed of cows but didn't know it was a member of the Tetley family that farmed them on that land.

As the article says, Cecil Tetely farmed his Dexters there. I'm not sure where Cecil fits into the family, maybe a brother of William Tetleys? (Joshua's grandfather)