Secret Football ground

Your favourite days out round Leeds
buffaloskinner

Re: Secret Football ground

Post by buffaloskinner »

The only one I can recall was at the back of the old laundry
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

loiner99 wrote:As a boy in school v early 60s I rember progressing to the Bishops Cup Final and going to a well manicured pitch just off Osmondthorpe road nr Neville hill goods yard. No idea who played there or even if its still there but after playing on school and council pitches it seemed like Wembley.
Hi loiner99 :).

I wonder if this will be the football pitch that was at the YMCA ground off Osmondthorpe Lane? If I recall correctly one long side of the pitch ran parallel to Richardson Road and so was fairly near Neville Hill Sidings (a favourite area of mine when I was a kid in the late 1940s to early 1950s to see train engines and even get in to get on them before being spotted and told to go out!).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Leodian wrote:
loiner99 wrote:As a boy in school v early 60s I rember progressing to the Bishops Cup Final and going to a well manicured pitch just off Osmondthorpe road nr Neville hill goods yard. No idea who played there or even if its still there but after playing on school and council pitches it seemed like Wembley.
Hi loiner99 :).

I wonder if this will be the football pitch that was at the YMCA ground off Osmondthorpe Lane? If I recall correctly one long side of the pitch ran parallel to Richardson Road and so was fairly near Neville Hill Sidings (a favourite area of mine when I was a kid in the late 1940s to early 1950s to see train engines and even get in to get on them before being spotted and told to go out.

I posted earlier that we kids at School we referred to a ground as the "Umi" which does sound like Y.M.C.A. it had a building with a flat roof and windows which was a treat for us kids who were used to getting changed into our kit behind the goal posts and they had goal nets which was also rare.

jma

Post by jma »

https://pitchfinder.org.uk/detail/6006821/

That's info about this ground.

(Owners: East End Park WMC.)