THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Leodian

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Post by Leodian »

Flashbulbs for cameras.

I've done a Google search but that came up negative for flashbulbs and Secret Leeds, so flashbulbs might not have been mentioned before.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thinking of flash bulbs i dont think it will be that long before film will be a thing of the past.Since dslr cameras came out the use of film is dying out it will be only the die hards who will keep it going but for how long.I dont need to tell you how flexible digital photography is i for one can do much more with a dslr than i ever could with a film camera. :D
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

True Tilly. you don't even have to record when you took it. all it needs now is for all DSLR cameras to have GPS with an indicator to tell you which way the camera was pointing

tilly

Post by tilly »

Happy New Year to you chemimike i was just thinking on the theme of this post there are a lot of members we dont see anymore ,I know a lot like me sit on the side until a post comes up that they can add to,Its the ones who posted on a regular basis i mean, just like to know they are keeping well,I have always looked on them has absent friends even though we have never met,ps This is what old age does to you but i think you know what i mean,

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Thank you Tilly, and a Happy New Year to you to. I know just what you mean

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Just watching the Antique Road Trip and one of the things bought was a football rattle, the old wooden type, this teminded me of when football resumed after the war my brother and i went to every home game at Elland Road and i had a large heavy one of these, it made a hell of a noise but lots of folks had them at that time. I was in the Boy's Pen on the Kop end swinging this monster away. Can't imagine what would happen today if one was even brought to a football ground
Last edited by volvojack on Tue 10 Jan, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jma

Post by jma »

We had one of those rattles which was part of my mother's equipment as an air-raid warden. There were different signals for different types of attack. Her place of duty (I don't know if there's a correct title) was on the bridge where Armley Road crosses the railway near the prison. In her later years she explained to me that when she was standing on her own in the dark (blackout, remember) she worried that in the event of a gas attack, she would be overcome by the gas before she had sounded the correct warning. After the war when I went to Castleton Primary School there was a gap in one of the streets and it was said to have been a house that was bombed. My mother was not on duty or she would have blamed herself for the activities of the Luftwaffe. For much of the war she worked at Thorpe Arch, but not making bombs. She worked on the till in the canteen.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jma wrote:We had one of those rattles which was part of my mother's equipment as an air-raid warden. There were different signals for different types of attack. Her place of duty (I don't know if there's a correct title) was on the bridge where Armley Road crosses the railway near the prison. In her later years she explained to me that when she was standing on her own in the dark (blackout, remember) she worried that in the event of a gas attack, she would be overcome by the gas before she had sounded the correct warning. After the war when I went to Castleton Primary School there was a gap in one of the streets and it was said to have been a house that was bombed. My mother was not on duty or she would have blamed herself for the activities of the Luftwaffe. For much of the war she worked at Thorpe Arch, but not making bombs. She worked on the till in the canteen.

You must have been very proud of her and rightly so, I had Aunties who during the war did similar things.

My Grandmother was an Air Raid Warden when we lived on the Gipton Estate and a rumour going round was that there was a man in a long black coat after dark confronting women and then assulting them. Not only was there a complete blackout afteer dark but also main street signs had been removed. This made it very difficult for strangers in an area.
It seems one night my Gran was on duty patrolling South Farm Road area checking for gaps of light in curtains etc. and she carried a large torch which like the other ladies had criss cross black tape on it to kep the light to a minimum. Out of the darkness a man suddenly appeared out of the darkness and asked for directions to........ apparently that was as far as he got as my Gran struck him with the torch. she said he cried out with pan but then she was gone. we kids always said he was probably a German Spy although that was extremely unlikely

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jma wrote:We had one of those rattles which was part of my mother's equipment as an air-raid warden. There were different signals for different types of attack. Her place of duty (I don't know if there's a correct title) was on the bridge where Armley Road crosses the railway near the prison. In her later years she explained to me that when she was standing on her own in the dark (blackout, remember) she worried that in the event of a gas attack, she would be overcome by the gas before she had sounded the correct warning. After the war when I went to Castleton Primary School there was a gap in one of the streets and it was said to have been a house that was bombed. My mother was not on duty or she would have blamed herself for the activities of the Luftwaffe. For much of the war she worked at Thorpe Arch, but not making bombs. She worked on the till in the canteen.

You must have been very proud of her and rightly so, I had Aunties who during the war did similar things.

My Grandmother was an Air Raid Warden when we lived on the Gipton Estate and a rumour going round was that there was a man in a long black coat after dark confronting women and then assulting them. Not only was there a complete blackout in the evenings but also main street signs had been removed. This made it very difficult for strangers in any area.
It seems one night my Gran was on duty patrolling South Farm Road area checking for gaps of light in curtains etc. and she carried a large torch which like the other ladies had criss cross black tape on it to kep the light to a minimum. Out of the darkness a man suddenly appeared and asked for directions to........ apparently that was as far as he got as my Gran struck him with the torch. she said he cried out with pain but then she was gone. we kids always said he was probably a German Spy although that was extremely unlikely
Last edited by volvojack on Tue 10 Jan, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I saw the show with the rattle correct me if i am wrong but i dont remember there being a metal plate on the ones i have seen.Was this a repair or were some made like this.?