Then and now.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jgl1954

Then and now.

Post by jgl1954 »

Did anyone see "The Good Old Days" from Christmas 1959 on (I think) BBC4? It just got me thinking about the world that the audience was living in. They'd leave the theatre to catch a bus home, since few had cars and if they had, it would be British, out to one of the newish housing developments.Houses without double glazing or central heating, where they could watch one of two channels on their black and white TV with a tiny screen. They'd catch the bus to work in one of the clothiers factories or engineering works, and of course they wouldn't be wearing anything made for pennies in some third world hole. WW2 would still be quite fresh in memory I imagine, especially if you'd lost someone, as it only ended 14 years previously. If you mentioned "internet", "computer", "mobile phone" to them they wouldn't have any idea what you were on about. They may have been good days in part, but I think we've got the edge now.

Leodian

Re: Then and now.

Post by Leodian »

That's a very interesting post jgl1954. :)

It was only 7 years later that England won the football World Cup so they clearly were the good old days ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

some of the many nice thing about 59 was you go in a Pub and get a pint of proper beer not this foamy lager cr'p they pass off these days and if you did happen to have a "Skinfull" you could walk / stagger home through the streets perfectly safe.

That was a time when girls looked like girls and wore dresses or skirts etc.nice clean hairstyles. not forever in trousers or jeans as they are these days.
Men wore smart suits, clean shirts plus ties or jackets and trousers n. always smart and clean.

jgl1954

Post by jgl1954 »

volvojack wrote: That was a time when girls looked like girls and wore dresses or skirts etc.nice clean hairstyles. not forever in trousers or jeans as they are these days.
Men wore smart suits, clean shirts plus ties or jackets and trousers n. always smart and clean.
And a time when girls wore suspenders and stockings!

The modern mode of dress is one on my pet gripes, and I often think "what the hell do you think you look like?" e.g. grown men wearing stupid 3/4 length trousers and tee shirts with their flab hanging out, with trainers of course.

tilly

Post by tilly »

What about the trousers half way down your backside .Whats that all about? :lol:
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jgl1954

Post by jgl1954 »

That is just a stupid look and apart from anything else it must be uncomfortable thinking your trousers are falling down all the time.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jgl1954 wrote:
volvojack wrote: That was a time when girls looked like girls and wore dresses or skirts etc.nice clean hairstyles. not forever in trousers or jeans as they are these days.
And a time when girls wore suspenders and stockings!

The modern mode of dress is one on my pet gripes, and I often think "what the hell do you think you look like?" e.g. grown men wearing stupid 3/4 length trousers and tee shirts with their flab hanging out, with trainers of course.

Nowadays you are more likely to see some Men in suspenders and stockings. two of my old drinking haunts The Viaduct on Lower Briggate and The Beech Hotel on Tong Road it seems have been taken over by these.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tilly wrote:What about the trousers half way down your backside .Whats that all about? :lol:
Lack of the use of braces nowadays ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

We could start a trend i bet if you walked around Leeds with one black shoe and one brown shoe someone would copy you.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Too right unfortunately