THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
chemimike

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Post by chemimike »

Mind you, if they wee not fake and had got them abroad , then they were sometimes not cured properly and got rather smelly after a time

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

The old £5 note seems to have disappeared pretty fast.
The new one was launched 13/9 and Leeds was one of the six areas selected by the bank
for concentrated release.
Haven't seen one for a couple of months.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

There were posts recently about overcoats on beds because of no central heating but also these days you don't see coats being put over the engine / under the bonnet of cars to soak up the moisture, otherwise many of the old cars, especially Fords would not start on a cold frosty morning. Some of the old 1950's motors had a starting handle to insert under the engine but that could dislocate your shoulder or at least give your arm a good jolt.
Happy Days.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi jack
i had a ford pop and without the old coat under the bonnet it would not start,it got better when i converted from 6volt to 12volt.
regards
sm1

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hello Snowman,
Your mention of the Ford Popular reminds me of the 50's model ( referred to for some reason as The Sit Up And Beg ) model had a gear stick which was long with a ball on the end, when you revved up up third sometimes it would jump out of gear and crack you on the knee, very paindul as i recall.
Regards Jack.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

In 1968 mine was a Ford Pop 100E, and I'm sure only had three gears! and very slow wipers at speed (60mph). Yes it had a very long angles gearstick with a large white ball on the end, loved it though. The only downside was that road holding wasn't too good, especially when you lived in a village with almost permanent muddy roads. The one below was not mine either.
Attachments
Ford Pop 100E.jpg
Ford Pop 100E.jpg (55.94 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="buffaloskinner"]In 1968 mine was a Ford Pop 100E, and I'm sure only had three gears! and very slow wipers at speed (60mph). Yes it had a very long angles gearstick with a large white ball on the end, loved it though. The only downside was that road holding wasn't too good, especially when you lived in a village with almost permanent muddy roads. The one below was not mine either.

"The one below was not mine either"
If the other one in the picture was yours you were still a very lucky lad.

the car shown i would think is about 1960, wish i owned it now.
Last edited by volvojack on Thu 29 Dec, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

There used to be racks of mens and ladies shoes outside town centre shoe shops. there was only one shoe on display in diffrent styles and colours for obvious rasons although my brother was stationed in the R.A.F. at Yeadon and his pal was Arnold Ziff whose father owned the Stylo shoe Company, they had branches not only all over Leeds but throuout the country. Arnold said that at one time they had a spate of thefts from outside of their stores in Leeds of a mans left foot size 9. He did not seem to be style concious as brown, black and suede all disappeared at vvarious times.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

volvojack wrote:There used to be racks of mens and ladies shoes outside town centre shoe shops. there was only one shoe on display in diffrent styles and colours for obvious rasons although my brother was stationed in the R.A.F. at Yeadon and his pal was Arnold Ziff whose father owned the Stylo shoe Company, they had branches not only all over Leeds but throuout the country. Arnold said that at one time they had a spate of thefts from outside of their stores in Leeds of a mans left foot size 9. He did not seem to be style concious as brown, black and suede all disappeared at vvarious times.
Did all shoeshops in the UK agree only to put the left shoes outside. If not maybe the guy would steal left shoes in Leeds and match them with a right shoe in Bradford. Alternatively the culprit was a one legged bloke with a size 9 left foot. That should narrow the field down a bit.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I knew the Landlord of a Tetley's Pub in Clecheaton who was born with deformed feet, when he became an adult he had one foot a size 9 and the other was a size 6. he had to have his trousers made specialy to make the difference look presentable. But the dastardly thing was he would go and buy a pair of size 9s and his wife a short time later would go in and buy a pair same but size 6. Then she would go back with the mismach and ask for a refund. as the numbers are similar it would be thought to be a mistake on their part..
The only thing was they could never work this trick more than once in that store.