Jacobs Court

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Captain Sensible:

Re: Jacobs Court

Post by Captain Sensible: »

That is amazing! I was at Beecroft St school (properly known as Kirkstall County Primary School) at exactly the same time as the last poster above! I remember Mr Dickinson, the Headmaster - he used to always play some classical music at the start of assembly. Trumpet Voluntary was one of his favourites. I remeber most of the above mentioned teachers. Mr Hall once demonstrated how to do a headstand in the class room and all his money fell out of his pockets! We had a new teacher who thinking back must have been very young. She was called Miss Dean. I remember seeing that she had a Cash's name tape in her jacket just like we all did in our clothing!
I have a school photo taken in about 1963 somewhere.
It was a lovely school. So many memories! There was a shute down to the coal store that you could get into from the playground. 2 boys got the cane for sliding down the shute and ending up in the boiler house! Mr Dickinson said that they could have gone straight in to the boiler! I think that may have been a slight exaggeration but it did the trick. Nobody else tried it. The 2 boys came out with black faces.
I don't remember any stories about ghosts - sorry!
Andrew Graham

Peter Mosley

Post by Peter Mosley »

Was a schoolboy at KCP (beecroft street) from 65 to 71 remember mrs thewliss the very scary mrs Cooper Mr Emery and Mr Hall (junior 4 rugby and swim lessons at kirkstall baths school friends I remember are Andrew Crowther David Hargreaves Colin Feltham Ian Russel Darren Rogers Mark Mosley/Thompson Julie Bateman Heather McQueen Tracy Mullit Christine Floyd Chris Spencer good times been back to read meters lots of changes but some things are just the same love to here from anyone who remembers me xx

Peter Mosley

Post by Peter Mosley »

Hi I was at KCP from 65 on I remember Chris Axall he was a friend of my brother Keith Mosley maybe you remember him Peter Mosley

Captain Sensible:

Post by Captain Sensible: »

I do remember Keith Mosley. He was in my class. He is on my school photo . Am I allowed to post it (if I can find it)?
He was quite a tall lad if I remember. I always thought he was quite tough!
Kids are so cruel though aren't they? I remember one lad whose ears grew a little in advance of his head. He got called wingnut which was not very nice.
I remember my Mum&Dad coming home from a parent's evening and saying - "........ ....... is going to be in trouble when his parents get home. He wrote in his diary book that "last night Dad went to the pub and Mum went to the bingo". His mother said:
"Ooo he has got a vivid imagination that lad!"

JonnyDotNet

Post by JonnyDotNet »

newyorkersusan wrote:Hi
I went to this primary school from 1962 till I was 11.
Me too! And I remember you Susan, my name is Jonathan Berry. I even remember the first year there in Mrs Emmerson's class. We used to have story time in a separate little room filled with those little pots with holes in where bulbs would sprout through. I also remember Mrs Blake who was my favourite teacher and having a nature table where we would display artwork made form various flowers etc. we picked on our occasional outings to Kirkstall Abbey. We also had weekly swimming outings to Kirkstall Baths and I recall it was always freezing cold and the changing cubicles were lined up on either side of the pool, girls on one side and boys on the other. I did have some limited contact with two other pupils a while back, John Midgley and Pamela Thompson but have lost touch now. If anyone has a class photograph '62 - '67 or any photos of the school before it was "vandalised" it would be great to see them. Take care, Jonathan.