THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
tilly

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Post by tilly »

Come to think i have not heard a Sky Lark thats the bird for years. When i was a kid we would see them going around and around getting higher and higher singing all of the time.They were a ground nesting bird used to see them around Park Side thats before it was all built on.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hi tilly, Where i live we hardly ever see a Sparrow any more, there used to be on and under every roof top also the huge flocks of Starlings that used to dive and swoop about when they were on the move. all we see now are Pigeons and the awful Seagulls around town.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

volvojack wrote:Hi tilly, Where i live we hardly ever see a Sparrow any more, there used to be on and under every roof top also the huge flocks of Starlings that used to dive and swoop about when they were on the move. all we see now are Pigeons and the awful Seagulls around town.
Hi volvojack :).

Talking of starlings they began to appear in the centre of Leeds a few years back and, like pigeons, have clearly adapted to town life (they are commonly seen around and near Leeds Markets). It's odd therefore that seagulls (which I simply now call gulls as I doubt most ever get to the coast) have not (yet!) got into the centre in any numbers. Sparrows as you say are not commonly seen, so it was nice when I saw a fairly large flock of them a few weeks back in the Navigation Walk area near Dock Street.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hello Leodian,
Years ago the Seagulls were all on the coast and Scarborough Cliffs were full of them. nowadays, as you say they are in City Center's , so now when we hear them crying and squawking overhead here in Gloucester you know you are not near the sea but there is a McDonald's or a Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet near by.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I wonder what is going on with the bird population i dont see or hear black birds much now.I put seeds out all year long and dont have to refill for weeks at a time.I had a flock of sparrows come and feed a few months back but they have gone now.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tilly wrote:I wonder what is going on with the bird population i dont see or hear black birds much now.I put seeds out all year long and dont have to refill for weeks at a time.I had a flock of sparrows come and feed a few months back but they have gone now.
I think it is the sound of the Blackbird early morning and early evening i miss most, so many different notes from one bird.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

We are very lucky, our house backs onto a linear park/woodland which stretches from Warrington to St Helens. In our garden there are nests for 2pairs of blackbirds, wrens, robins and bluetits.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

warringtonrhino wrote:We are very lucky, our house backs onto a linear park/woodland which stretches from Warrington to St Helens. In our garden there are nests for 2pairs of blackbirds, wrens, robins and bluetits.

You won't hear Rhino's but you might hear Wolves....

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Bows the time of plenty for birds out in the hedgerows and fields. They don't need to hang around gardens. They'll be back in a couple of weeks. We've got a couple of black birds that usually hang around. Lovely song.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Things you don't see anymore.
Couples walking in the park on Chrismas Day morning wearing matching fake Sheepskin coats (nylon) very prominent in the 60s. They looked lovely for a while until they had some wear.