Morley- Bridge street train bridge and the big hole next to Royal Mail

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
spainboy

Morley- Bridge street train bridge and the big hole next to Royal Mail

Post by spainboy »

Ive recently seen an old photo (maybe cerca 60s) on bridge street where the Albion pub used to be and the photo shows a bridge with a train going over it. Nowadays there is no bridge and no train lines anywhere in that vacinity anymore so I was quite surprised to see this old pic. Can anyone shed any light on where the train tracks once were,or if anyone has the ability maybe draw a line over a google map image, but a general idea is also sufficient.
The other quiery is next to royal mail in the same grounds at the top of the car park on queen street theres a round brick structure with a big hole that goes underground,I wonder if that was anything to do with the trains at the time???

volvojack

Re: Morley- Bridge street train bridge and the big hole next to Royal Mail

Post by volvojack »

In the mid 1960s I worked in Bank Street, Mprley and every lunchtime I used to go for a couple of pints in a Tetley's pub up there on the right hand side going out of town by the railway bridge, think it was the Albion. as I recall the road had a rather a bad bend somewhere around there and as regards the brick structure I think they were something to do with a tunnel / air vents. there was also one down the bottom of Morley by the other Railway Station. Vague I know but maybe of some help.

jim

Post by jim »

The "old railway" here was the direct Wakefield to Bradford line of the pre-1923 Great Northern Railway. It branched off the Wakefield - Leeds line at West Ardsley, passing through Tingley, Morley, Bruntcliffe, Drighlington,and Dudley Hill, joining the Leeds - Bradford line at Laisterdyke. There was a station near Bridge Street, Morley Top, and I occasionally worked on the cranes, machinery, water tank and engine water cranes there in the 1950s and 60s until the line closed. The course was used for the M62 in the Tingley area and at Gelderd Road.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

This map shows the old railway, the station and also the air shaft for Morley Tunnel

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16 ... 1&layers=6

You will also find this of interest on the route from Ardsley to Laisterdyke, scroll a little more than halfway down to see the section on Morley.

http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co ... erdyke.htm

Have fun
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

[quote="buffaloskinner"]This map shows the old railway, the station and also the air shaft for Morley Tunnel

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16 ... 1&layers=6

I found it interesting that the map shows Morley Tunnel running under the Great Northern Station. Apart from such as for example the London Underground system it may be uncommon to have a train station over a presumably non-connected train tunnel.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

spainboy

Post by spainboy »

Thanks for the reply and the map find which answers my question where the line ran through Morley.
The bottom of Bridge street doesnt seem to be a bad corner anymore looking at a 60s pic and a pic from today. That same pic is also on this site Yep, all about it here
http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co ... erdyke.htm

This site shows the old stations,lines and what bits still remain today,I think a bit of the viaduct at the bottom of high street near the roundabout to bridge street is one of the few remaining bits.

Ianhirst

Post by Ianhirst »

Hi, the old Morley 'top' station remained in a derelict state until the early-mid 90's, me and my mates used to knock about on it back in the late 80's. The end of the bridge in the photo you'll have seen is all that's left along with a few railway cottages at the bottom of High Street. The ATS garage still bears the great Northern goods depot sign on the Fountain Street end.
I'll try to fill in the route for you depending upon how familiar you are with the surrounding area.
Heading towards Tingley the line ran along the edge of the Glen estate to a triangular junction which is now the carcraft site, one line continuing towards Wakefield, you can still see part of the banking as you go up the westbound slip road onto the M62 at Tingley roundabout. The line doesn't actually continue to Wakefield, it crossed the Leeds to Wakefield line on a viaduct which is still there and joined into that line towards Leeds just before the lines cross Dewsbury Road.
The other line from the triangular junction ran alongside what is now Woodkirk school field (houses have been built on much of it) before crossing the bottom of Rein Road and heading towards Batley, derelict railway houses are still visible opposite Woodkirk Valley country club.
Heading towards Gildersome the line ran under Fountain Street skirting along the edge of Morley High School playing field and crossed Bruntcliffe Lane where the car auctions are. It continued towards what is now Gildersome Roundabout (you can make out the line along the edge of the industrial estate on the satellite view on Google earth) and the trackbed is now part of Drig bypass, it carried on roughly parallel to the A650 before crossing it around the entrance to Holmewood and joining into the Leeds to Bradford lines at Laisterdyke.

The air shaft behind the Royal mail building is one of 4, the others being in the middle of the Hopewell farm estate, right next to the M62 and near the former Howley Hall.

jim

Post by jim »

The main line from Morley Top through Tingley did connect directly with Wakefield, joining the Leeds to Wakefield line immediately before Ardsley Station. The other lines from Tingley were as you describe.