Corn Exchange

Your favourite days out round Leeds
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Damn double post!!!    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Sthenno

Post by Sthenno »

I completely agree that things need to evolve to survive, it's just a shame everything needs to evolve in such a direction that everything becomes exactly the same. Surely there is enough of a student/non rich executive population in Leeds to support something other than the standard upmarket redevelopment. Because with the way everything around it is going, I can't see that any 'shops, homes or offices' in a newly developed Kirkgate Market are likely to be aimed at those on a budget.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The use to which any particular building is put is very largely decided by the Planning Department This in itself has to conform to a number of statutes as well as make decisions in relation to the larger development policy and somewhere in all this, consider public opinion.The Corn Exchange is a listed building which restricts what can be done and requires often more costly repairs than an ordinary building to retain its original character. This money has to come from somewhere and inevitabley this is from charging accordingly for its use. Things could be worse - consider the consequences of such a building left with no keeper to care and maintain it. Time (and people) would soon take its toll with the very essence of the place being lost to damage and decay. This does happen and is readily vissible around us with examples mentioned on Secret Leeds, one being The Grange at Seacroft. Its future supposedly ptoected within the redevelopment of the Seacroft Centre, it stands now as a near ruin, the developers yet to conceed to fullfilling the understanding we believe there to have been for its future.As has been said, change is always here, the old days gone, but at least we can try to retain some the physical heritage from then, though we may not agree with how this is done.

thenakedbedlamper

Post by thenakedbedlamper »

Hi sorry, this is going off thread again,arry awkalright, just wanted to let you know that Shaibah is still being used by us Brits. The British Army has a small outpost there, along with the Iraqi Army. I went to visit a couple of generators we have out there yesterday and stayed the night. Sadly I didn't get to see much of the old part of the camp, as they are now staying in a separate well defended compound. I did get a great view of it via a lynx helicopter ( side doors open, feet dangling over the edge), I could see what looked like an old RAF watertower.Regards Kev

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi Nakedbedlamper!(The mind boggles!) KEV?Intrigued to know how you came to know I had an interestin RAF Shaibah??? Is there another thread I've not noticed?Anyway,I did serve in the RAF at Shaibah Feb 1950 to Oct 1951!Still wondering how this info and name 'Arry Awk' got to you!I have an aerial photo of the camp and would be interestedto compare it with what you have.CheersArry Awk

thenakedbedlamper

Post by thenakedbedlamper »

Alright ArryIt was on this very thread (corn exhange) that I found about your Shaibah history, you mention about it in a message you posted last July. It was by shear coincedance that i had just read this thread last friday, and then found out I was being sent to Shaibah that day. So I thought I'd try and get some photos of the old base for you, what with you being a fellow ex RAF comrade. I've got a flickr profile, but I've not had much luck putting my Shaibah photos on it the moment, but I will keep trying. Check it out anyway I have some other photo from around Basrah you might like my profile is http://www.flickr.com/photos/7340685@N08/cheers Kev

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

By 'eck,Kev!Meckin' sure I got ure posting eh?I'd forgotten my July postings on the CornExchange!Anyway,some brill pix on Flickr mate! Thanks forthose.Desert's still the same of course,but I haven't recognised anywhere thereon. 50 odd yrs is a long while and there's beentwo gulf wars since, which, along with rebuilding and mortaring(!)must've completely changed things. I think Kuwait was a couple of oilwells and a Yankee PX in my day!Lad next door to us is in the RM Commandos. He was in Um.Qasrin one of Saddo's palaces at one time but since then he's been in Afghanistan,Sierra Leone and Belize! Total commitment, I reckon!I've never had any luck posting pix on S/leeds. I'm OK on email.though! Any ideas? Got quite a few shots in Shaibah and Basrah town centre.All black n' white of course!Have got workmen in this week doing our bathroom so not muchtime to spend on here till after weekend.Were you in Iraq with the RAF,or just with your civvy job?(Can't they fix their own Jennys??)All for today,KevCheersArry

Exiled-Angel

Post by Exiled-Angel »

It was a little sad to see the Corn Exchange go back to it's apparently old 'potential' way it was. I used to be one of those 'Goths' as you like to call them. I used to take Photography of the building inside and out. It was a real swell place.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Exiled-Angel wrote: It was a little sad to see the Corn Exchange go back to it's apparently old 'potential' way it was. I used to be one of those 'Goths' as you like to call them. I used to take Photography of the building inside and out. It was a real swell place. The area has been the meeting place for Goths for mny years Angel as you know, and throughout that time the congregations were perceived as being intimidating by many.My experience when in the area certainly gave no cause to believe this to be so, indeed the nearest I saw to such behaviour was the persistant harrassment towards the groups from the management and (some) of the security personnel towards both them and younger people in general. Strange really when you consider that many of the shops in there were geared very much towards that generation.Quite a contrast to the recent article in the YEP which describes the 'newer' Goth behaviour as Violent and physically abusive with a growing and open culture of drink and drug taking in eveidence. Perhaps they might wish the clock could be turned back now - but then, there's little to relish in the new Corn Exchange is there!

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

chameleon wrote: Exiled-Angel wrote: It was a little sad to see the Corn Exchange go back to it's apparently old 'potential' way it was. I used to be one of those 'Goths' as you like to call them. I used to take Photography of the building inside and out. It was a real swell place. The area has been the meeting place for Goths for mny years Angel as you know, and throughout that time the congregations were perceived as being intimidating by many.My experience when in the area certainly gave no cause to believe this to be so, indeed the nearest I saw to such behaviour was the persistant harrassment towards the groups from the management and (some) of the security personnel towards both them and younger people in general. Strange really when you consider that many of the shops in there were geared very much towards that generation.Quite a contrast to the recent article in the YEP which describes the 'newer' Goth behaviour as Violent and physically abusive with a growing and open culture of drink and drug taking in eveidence. Perhaps they might wish the clock could be turned back now - but then, there's little to relish in the new Corn Exchange is there! What i dont understand is how come London does not go the same way as Leeds the rates must be very high but they dont talk about pulling down old buildings that are part of there citys history to make way for so called progress. What they do build in Leeds will be pulled down in the next twenty or thirty years if there past record is any thing to go by.