lost chippies of leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
markstansfield

Re: lost chippies of leeds

Post by markstansfield »

Does anyone remember The Shand fish and chip shop in Jack Lane? I remember the place was covered in Leeds United posters.I used to go for the family fish and chips every Friday night. Walk there and run home. Plates in oven and tea ready!!
I can still taste them -(1968 -74)

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

markstansfield wrote:Does anyone remember The Shand fish and chip shop in Jack Lane? I remember the place was covered in Leeds United posters.I used to go for the family fish and chips every Friday night. Walk there and run home. Plates in oven and tea ready!!
Chippy on nearly every parade of shops round us in seacroft 1960's!!

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO FIND THE SEARCH BOX?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

markstansfield wrote:Does anyone remember The Shand fish and chip shop in Jack Lane? I remember the place was covered in Leeds United posters.I used to go for the family fish and chips every Friday night. Walk there and run home. Plates in oven and tea ready!!

Was that the one along Jack Lane opposite the Parkfield pub, if so they were delicious, the one I refer used to be open lunchtimes and we would get a large "New Cake" from a little Bakers on the next street corner and make a large fish sandwich..... Heaven

Nowadays I live in Gloucester where the fish and dirks are so awful I would not eat them if they were free.

jim

Post by jim »

The Parksider wrote:

Workround posted some time ago (sorry, can't recall who posted it to give credit) Google "site:secretleeds.com search" followed by the term you want to search. Works a treat.

Sorry, posted faulty link. Now rectified.

markstansfield

Post by markstansfield »

Hi,

I used the search google and put in shand fish and chip shop leeds jack lane - and this came up -http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

A few remember it well

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

jim wrote:
The Parksider wrote:

Workround posted some time ago (sorry, can't recall who posted it to give credit) Google "site:secretleeds.com search" followed by the term you want to search. Works a treat.

Sorry, posted faulty link. Now rectified.

Bingo! See you soon!

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

markstansfield wrote:Hi,

I used the search google and put in shand fish and chip shop leeds jack lane - and this came up -http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

A few remember it well
Just had a look and apart from the photo of the Fish shop and some interesting comments there is a wonderful account from a Brian Wells who recalls his Uncle in1946 opening an Aluminiun foundry in a Back to Back house in Shand Terrace " I was 8 years old and recall my Uncle had taken the bedroom floor out and flames were up to the ceiling "
Well worth a read

+

markstansfield

Post by markstansfield »

Its hard to believe what he did! But he seems to have been successful! Would have wanted to live next door. Fascinating to think how he did it.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

markstansfield wrote:Its hard to believe what he did! But he seems to have been successful! Would have wanted to live next door. Fascinating to think how he did it.
Or in the house behind him Mark,

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

There used to be a Midgeleys chippy at the bottom of But6cher Hill in Horsforth. It is now flats. Next to that site was the Charlie Browns car store......also gone.
Come on Leeds United!