Foundry Mill at Seacroft

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
warringtonrhino

Foundry Mill at Seacroft

Post by warringtonrhino »

Does anyone know where I will find drawings, plans or descriptions of the old corn mill which was at Foundry lane in Seacroft.
I have OS maps which only show the outline of the building, photos from Leodis of the derelict building, and a description with drawings by E Kilburn Scott of the water wheel.

uncle mick

Re: Foundry Mill at Seacroft

Post by uncle mick »

[quote="warringtonrhino"]Does anyone know where I will find drawings, plans or descriptions of the old corn mill which was at Foundry lane in Seacroft.
I have OS maps which only show the outline of the building, photos from Leodis of the derelict building, and a description with drawings by E Kilburn Scott of the water wheel.[/quote

I don't know if this is the said corn mill but it describes a water corn mill in Seacroft. From the Leeds Mercury 27th May 1815
Water Corn Mill Seacroft.png
Water Corn Mill Seacroft.png (254.77 KiB) Viewed 7542 times

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

The southern boundary of this map.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/100946576

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

I've had a look around but not a thorough one. In the Leeds library there was a drawing of the road down to the mill off foundry lane, but not the mill which was frustrating.

Thanks to secret Leeders the iconic Scotland Mill is partly shown as a burnt out shell.

My thought is to follow Don Cole's lead and organise artists impression of what these would have looked like based on all the various clues we could find!

warringtonrhino

The Parksider wrote:I've had a look around but not a thorough one. In the Leeds library there was a drawing of the road down to the mill off foundry lane, but not the mill which was frustrating.

Thanks to secret Leeders the iconic Scotland Mill is partly shown as a burnt out shell.

My thought is to follow Don Cole's lead and organise artists impression of what these would have looked like based on all the various clues we could find!
was it the Gilbert Foster drawing 'Near Foundry Mill' which is in Edmund Boggs book 'Round about leeds and the old Villages in Elmete' ?
this drawing looks plausible, the view is from the gate at the north west corner of the site.
Its a pity that drawings were not submitted for planning permission, with elevations and interior plans.
Attachments
foundry mill 1800.jpg
foundry mill 1800.jpg (869.25 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
Scan10001.JPG
Scan10001.JPG (778.56 KiB) Viewed 7459 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leeds Mercury Sept 7th 1822
Foundry Mill 1822.png
Foundry Mill 1822.png (140.15 KiB) Viewed 7446 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

warringtonrhino wrote:
The Parksider wrote:I've had a look around but not a thorough one. In the Leeds library there was a drawing of the road down to the mill off foundry lane, but not the mill which was frustrating.

was it the Gilbert Foster drawing 'Near Foundry Mill' which is in Edmund Boggs book 'Round about leeds and the old Villages in Elmete' ?
this drawing looks plausible, the view is from the gate at the north west corner of the site.
Its a pity that drawings were not submitted for planning permission, with elevations and interior plans.
No it wasn't that Wire Rhino. I have had Boggs book for years and It never occurred to me the illustration was possibly foundry mill as seen from "nearby". It's ambiguous but consistent with Boggs romantic style. I'll try to find it when next in the reference library.

The land looks too flat for foundry mill which I think was in a dip, it is possible to overlay the modern estate over the old maps and stand where the mill was!!

Thanks for the magnificent drawing - where was that from WR? The lay out of the water leats is fascinating. Quite a bit of water engineering had to be done as there was no strong supply in the immediate locality

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Oh yes and I thought I'd look up the waterwheel on Leodis and could not find it despite putting "Foundry Mill" in the search. Big chance it's my Technophobia but pictures of the shaft gear at Holbeck Brickworks, and Horsforth Brickworks buildings do not seem to be there anymore?

Anyone else trusted Leodis to hold images for ever more for us then not being able to find them?

warringtonrhino

The Parksider wrote:
warringtonrhino wrote:

No it wasn't that Wire Rhino. I have had Boggs book for years and It never occurred to me the illustration was possibly foundry mill as seen from "nearby". It's ambiguous but consistent with Boggs romantic style. I'll try to find it when next in the reference library.

The land looks too flat for foundry mill which I think was in a dip, it is possible to overlay the modern estate over the old maps and stand where the mill was!!

Thanks for the magnificent drawing - where was that from WR? The lay out of the water leats is fascinating. Quite a bit of water engineering had to be done as there was no strong supply in the immediate locality
The plan is one of mine it is a draft. Eventually it will go into a book I am doing on the history of Seacroft.
The research takes a long time - 20 years so far- because I read very slowly, So it is mostly maps plans, drawings and illustrations.
I have spent my life drawing, because I enjoy it. The Foundry Mill and Mathers leat is a topic I keep returning to, at the moment I am half way through (fictitious) plans and details of the leat, as if drawn in 1500's and I want to do some internal plans of the mill and outbuildings.
I live in Warrington but do NOT support the wire or wolves.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

warringtonrhino wrote:
The Foundry Mill and Mathers leat is a topic I keep returning to, at the moment I am half way through (fictitious) plans and details of the leat, as if drawn in 1500's
Did you follow the thread we did on here about the water supply for the Mill coming from the Wyke Beck back at Asket Hill?

What do you have for the Mill in terms of building date and who was behind it?