The metal horse sculpture at Lloyds Bank, Park Row.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

There is also another virtually unknown sculpture next to where the Pig and Whistle used to be at the rear side of the Merrion Centre, where the subway used to be that had the outdoor escalators. The sculpture is called 'Androgyne' and it was made by Glenn Hellman who was kind enough to reply to an email I sent him. He told me he won a competition to design an original sculpture for the newly designed Merrion Centre. Originally this sculpture took pride of place in the front of the Merrion Centre. Sadly it was relegated to its present position in this hidden corner at the rear of the shopping centre. Ironically as the sculpture is made from cast aluminium its likely to get swiped by these thieving metal scoundrels unless something is done to regulate the trade in scrap.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

BJF

Post by BJF »

From the look of it, I always assumed "Androgyne" was made from concrete.

BJF

Post by BJF »

From the look of it, I always assumed "Androgyne" was made from concrete.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Yes it does look like its cast concrete as the casting is pretty rough is places, having touched it I actually thought it was fibreglass but apparently not its aluminium which has weathered and oxidised, Its quite hollow too, if you tap it you can hear how hollow it is. Its a pity that its been slung out of view into its current location as public art / sculpture in Leeds is quite limited.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Leodian

Re: The metal horse sculpture at Lloyds Bank, Park Row.

Post by Leodian »

That branch of Lloyds on Park Row has now closed and Lloyds have applied to remove the horse and relocate it at its Lloyds Banking Group building on Lovell Park Road. I thought I would therefore take some photos while the horse is still at Park Row and these are 2 that I took on November 6 2015. Sadly (but perhaps not surprisingly nowadays) the site with the horse had lots of litter. I removed what I could easily reach but was unable to readily remove all of it out of view (as seen in the second photo).
The Lloyds Bank horse on Park Row, Leeds (taken Nov 6 2015).
466R.jpg (121.49 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
Attachments
465R.jpg (141.23 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a report on page 15 of the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) today (Nov 20 2015) about the proposed move of the horse to Lloyds office on Lovell Park Road. This is the link to the online report:- http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-7580417

In the YEP report it states the Lovell Park Road building is in Sheepscar. I don't know for sure if that is wrong but I would not have thought it is in Sheepscar. Perhaps Little London?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Leodian wrote: In the YEP report it states the Lovell Park Road building is in Sheepscar. I don't know for sure if that is wrong but I would not have thought it is in Sheepscar. Perhaps Little London?
Here is Lloyds Bank on Lovell Park Road
https://goo.gl/maps/TeYP6CTsRaE2

:arrow:
Attachments
LPR.JPG
LPR.JPG (59.18 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi buffaloskinner :).

I seem to have worded my post poorly as I know the Lloyds building is on Lovell Park Road. It's just that I'm unsure if it is in Sheepscar, which I would be surprised if it was.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

There is a thread started by
Leodion about the Lloyd's Headrow/Vicar Lane branch closing where I posted
about Lloyd's applying for planning permission to move the horse to Lovell Park(22/10)

Remember that the geography of Leeds is NOT a subject that YEP reporters know much about !
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Leodian wrote:Hi buffaloskinner :). It's just that I'm unsure if it is in Sheepscar, which I would be surprised if it was.
Its actually in what is classed as Little London.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?