Remembering Folk Clubs in the 60's-70's

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Does anybody remember The Moonshiners? Back in 1974/75 they used to play - among other venues - Friday nights at The Dyneley Arms at the top of Pool Bank. Their style was fairly traditional folk music (Wild Rover,etc.).I've looked online but can only find a different (Scottish) band with the same name.I always recall, in particular, these lyrics to one of their popular songs: " Please take me where The sweet River Aire Bubbles and sparkles through Leeds. Let me lay there and dream By that beautiful stream Where the waterfowl nest in the reeds, in the reeds Where the waterfowl nest in the reeds" I'm not a great folk fan but these boys had a certain appeal. I'd love to know what happened to them if anyone can help.Happy New YearJD

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

jdby"bubbles & squeakes" through leeds in those days. Was around, don't recall.One experience in the late 1970's drinking round Oakwood, we tried a pint in the Gipton and went through 'the wrong doors' into a function room with a Country & Western Gig complete with full house audience all in full kit.Our ex RAF great coates looked outa' place. They seemed a nice crowd tho. Didn't know the Gipton did gigs.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

jdbythesea wrote: Does anybody remember The Moonshiners? Back in 1974/75 they used to play - among other venues - Friday nights at The Dyneley Arms at the top of Pool Bank. Their style was fairly traditional folk music (Wild Rover,etc.).I've looked online but can only find a different (Scottish) band with the same name.I always recall, in particular, these lyrics to one of their popular songs: " Please take me where The sweet River Aire Bubbles and sparkles through Leeds. Let me lay there and dream By that beautiful stream Where the waterfowl nest in the reeds, in the reeds Where the waterfowl nest in the reeds" I'm not a great folk fan but these boys had a certain appeal. I'd love to know what happened to them if anyone can help.Happy New YearJD Slight tangent, but this was an ironic folk song also sung by the one armed cyclist and singing blacksmith Walter Greaves. Quite a character! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Gre ... cyclist%29

matty2332

Re: Remembering Folk Clubs in the 60's-70's

Post by matty2332 »

Just stumbled across this by chance and the following maybe of interest, and in answer to J Ds original post.
My father Arnie Appleyard (Arnie McGhee) formed the Moonshiners back in the 70s with his childhood friend Gill 'Gilly' Murray. Other original members were Bob Wilson and Pete the flute. Various other musicians came and went in the years that followed.
The song referred to (usually sung by Gilly), was written by a chap called John Gunning who was the Landlord of the Bay Horse pub in Tadcaster, a regular venue played by the band. John wrote a book of songs and verse during trips around the Isle of Skye. My father sketched the illustrations for the book. Apparently following a gig, John would leave the keys for the pub on the bar and a bowl for the band to leave money for the drinks that they were allowed to help themselves to whilst John went to bed.
Due to the bands success in the 70s, they were all Equity card holders, which of course allowed them to play various other venues across the city and beyond, and in later years, a tour of Canada.
The Dyneley arms was always a popular gig, with cars spilling out onto Pool bank and Otley road.
Sadly Bob died in the late 70s/early 80s, as did Gilly in 1989. Not sure what happened to Pete, but I can say that whilst the band days are over, my father lives on, enjoying a busy life and playing the pipes, as well as Banjo, fiddle, mandolin and so on.
He would love to hear from any former band mates, old friends, colleagues or followers of The Moonshiners !!

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Hi Matty
I used to visit The Dyneley Arms to see the band - Friday nights if memory serves. The place was generally full and parking was always a pain. The draught beer was never wonderful and I used to forego it for something from a bottle. I'd go with a bunch of mates (about 4 or 6), one of which was Alan Bedford. He first introduced me to The Moonshiners. I think he had a nodding acquaintance with one of the band members. I recall a line from the Irish song "Muirshin Durkin" that goes "as sure as me name is Carney I'll be off to join the army". I seem to remember that when that song was sung "Carney" was sung as "Arny". I may be wrong but I'll bet your Dad will know. I never knew any of the band members personally but tell your dad that I and my pals used to love those nights listening to and joining in with the Moonshiners. So glad to hear that he is still knocking out a tune. They were happy happy days.

Stree

Post by Stree »

I remember going to the folk evenings on "The Barge, as its name, a barge moored on the canal at the bottom of the Calls. late 70s early 80s?

millo

Post by millo »

I am the "Pete the flute" that Matty mentioned. I was a student at Leeds Poly from 1970 to 1974, and ran into the Moonshiners at the Nags Head, Chapel Allerton, where they played every Wednesday night. I made such as pest of myself joining in on my tin whistle that they asked me to join the band. I also played 5-string banjo and guitar for some songs.

We had weekly gigs at the Nags Head, the Mexborough, the Dyneley Arms at Pool, and fortnightly at a pub in Cleckheaton whose name I forget. Other occasional gigs were at Bay Horse, Tadcaster and The Barge on the River Aire (where the ladies toilets were guaranteed to overflow into the saloon at least once during the evening), plus other one-offs. I had to leave the band in 1974 to take my exams, and then I moved home to Nottingham to start work. Gilly used to ferry me to the out of town gigs, and I kept in touch with him sporadically until he passed away. Glad to hear that Arnie is still thriving.

Originally, it was me who sang John Gunning's "Sweet River Aire". I guess Gilly must have taken it over after I left. I never got an Equity card, so they must have got them after I left - ditto the Canadian tour.

I'm still playing music down in Nottingham and Derby, with the Mortimers Band - mostly Eurodance plus a bit of Cajun - although my main instrument is now the fiddle. We've been known to come up to Leeds to play in the regular French session in the Chimic Tavern.

I enjoyed reading the posts. Fond memories. PM

tony_rees

Post by tony_rees »

Lots of info for Leeds and surrounds in this Mudcat thread: http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=126417 . I was in Leeds 1971-74 then again in 1975-79/80, assisted in running the University FC in the second stint; lots of folk clubs around including the Polytechnic, Grove, Brig (at the Adelphi?), Hand Pump, Pack Horse and more... latterly the Pack Horse became a blues venue, the "Home of the Blues", featuring among others Steve Phillips, Brendan Croker, Sholto Lenaghan, Dave Speight, Viv Fisher(?), Geoff .... (memory fails me temporarily), Tony Brummell-Smith as residents... in 79/80 I also frequented the Harrogate Folk Club at the Borough Bailliff, organisers were John and Maggie Burrell. Lots of happy memories!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to Secret Leeds tony -rees.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tony_rees

Post by tony_rees »

Geoff .... in the post above - was Geoff Webster I think!!