Vanishing Breweries

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
stevief

Post by stevief »

drapesy wrote: Further to my earlier post - Musgrave and Sagar called their brewery 'The Rutland Brewery' (nothing to do with Ruddles) and it was on Marlborough Street Burley. They existed as a company until very recently - but stopped brewing many years ago. They owned The Old Unicorn in Bramley and the Town Hall Tavern to my knowledge. The Town Hall Tavern has been a Timothy Taylors house for a couple of years.

BONDGATE BUSES

Post by BONDGATE BUSES »

Farbank wrote ;-There's a blue plaque on the pub wall. And I believe it was where the family of the famous Sammy Ledgard, set up the brewing for their own pub.Yes indeed and Samuel Ledgard lived at the Nelson for over fifty years, and died in his upstairs bedroom there in February 1952. This coming weekend , Sunday 14th, is the fortieth anniversary of the end of the Ledgard bus empire when the company was sold to West Yorkshire Road Car Co. Ltd. For many complex reasons the sale was sadly inevitable, but many bet that Sammy would turn in his grave if he knew !!
I spent a very happy 44 years in all aspects of bus and coach operation, in Ilkley,Otley, Leeds, Pontefract,Castleford, Wakefield and York.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Barwicker wrote: Back to Hemingways Brewery. The address was York Road, Leeds and the 1908 OS Map shows a Malthouse situated on York Road, between the old Library/Baths and Pontefract Lane. That could be the site. The real pub quiz for Loiner experts is which were the six Hemingways pubs in Leeds???Tetley's took them over and I had a Hemingway's beer tray which I "found" in an area managers cupboard.

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

The Parksider wrote: Barwicker wrote: Back to Hemingways Brewery. The address was York Road, Leeds and the 1908 OS Map shows a Malthouse situated on York Road, between the old Library/Baths and Pontefract Lane. That could be the site. The real pub quiz for Loiner experts is which were the six Hemingways pubs in Leeds???Tetley's took them over and I had a Hemingway's beer tray which I "found" in an area managers cupboard. I seem to remember that the Hampton in Cross Green had the old Hemingway's etched windows back in the early 80's, so that is possibly one ex Hemingway's pub.

stevief

Post by stevief »

The Parksider wrote: Barwicker wrote: Back to Hemingways Brewery. The address was York Road, Leeds and the 1908 OS Map shows a Malthouse situated on York Road, between the old Library/Baths and Pontefract Lane. That could be the site. The real pub quiz for Loiner experts is which were the six Hemingways pubs in Leeds???Tetley's took them over and I had a Hemingway's beer tray which I "found" in an area managers cupboard. It's well before my time but I would hazard a guess at The Regent,known locally as 'the slip' simply because it's the nearest.Is it still a going concern,by the way?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

drapesy wrote: Further to my earlier post - Musgrave and Sagar called their brewery 'The Rutland Brewery' (nothing to do with Ruddles) and it was on Marlborough Street Burley. They existed as a company until very recently - but stopped brewing many years ago. They owned The Old Unicorn in Bramley and the Town Hall Tavern to my knowledge. My dad used to work for Musgrave and Sagar in the early 70's. They were still on Marlborough Street then. It was a really oldy worldy place in there, they had their own well in the cellar. I used to go in with my dad on saturdays and fill the bottle washing machine. They used to bottle Guiness and I would alo be allowed to put the labels on the bottles. I have some fond memories of that place and I watched it being pulled down with my dad. I think they moved onto Carr Crofts up Armley. I know they owned The Unicorn and the Town Hall Tavern they also owned The Nags Head which was on the corner of Vicar Lane.    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Chrism wrote: drapesy wrote: Further to my earlier post - Musgrave and Sagar called their brewery 'The Rutland Brewery' (nothing to do with Ruddles) and it was on Marlborough Street Burley. They existed as a company until very recently - but stopped brewing many years ago. They owned The Old Unicorn in Bramley and the Town Hall Tavern to my knowledge. . I know they owned The Unicorn and the Town Hall Tavern they also owned The Nags Head which was on the coner of Vicar Lane. I was going to post that they had pubs in Leeds - but I couldn't remember where! There was also Brindleys who used to bottle beer in Leeds I think. As for defunct breweries, I think Drapsey has just about covered it.When I started drinking (illegally) there were a lot of Hammonds pubs, Hammonds was brewed at the Tower Brewery Tadcaster which is still operational. I used to like Hamonds' HUB bitter. There was also Beverleys. They owned the White Bear at Tingley. Before the M62 was built there were two White Bear pubs, the Old White Bear at the top of Thorpe Lane and the New White Bear, which is the current pub. Beverleys brewed in Wakefield, I presume that they had outlets in Leeds. I think that BYB has been mentioned. The Nelson at the top of Churwell hill was a BYB house as was the bottom 'oil in Churwell.
Industria Omnia Vincit

thc

Post by thc »

The bar in Roundhay Park sold Hemingway's and may have been a tied house
THCampion

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

thc wrote: The bar in Roundhay Park sold Hemingway's and may have been a tied house My first illegal drink - in the Mansion in Roundhay Park, 14 pretending to be eighteen - I saw the Tetleys and the Hemingways - I'd never heard of Hemingways so Tetleys it was.
Industria Omnia Vincit

stevief

Post by stevief »

Trojan wrote: Chrism wrote: drapesy wrote: Further to my earlier post - Musgrave and Sagar called their brewery 'The Rutland Brewery' (nothing to do with Ruddles) and it was on Marlborough Street Burley. They existed as a company until very recently - but stopped brewing many years ago. They owned The Old Unicorn in Bramley and the Town Hall Tavern to my knowledge. . I know they owned The Unicorn and the Town Hall Tavern they also owned The Nags Head which was on the coner of Vicar Lane. I was going to post that they had pubs in Leeds - but I couldn't remember where! There was also Brindleys who used to bottle beer in Leeds I think. As for defunct breweries, I think Drapsey has just about covered it.When I started drinking (illegally) there were a lot of Hammonds pubs, Hammonds was brewed at the Tower Brewery Tadcaster which is still operational. I used to like Hamonds' HUB bitter. There was also Beverleys. They owned the White Bear at Tingley. Before the M62 was built there were two White Bear pubs, the Old White Bear at the top of Thorpe Lane and the New White Bear, which is the current pub. Beverleys brewed in Wakefield, I presume that they had outlets in Leeds. I think that BYB has been mentioned. The Nelson at the top of Churwell hill was a BYB house as was the bottom 'oil in Churwell. I took this picture because I'd never heard of 'Tower Ales'.It's in Knaresborough.
Attachments
__TFMF_s2hs42ajoitok055yu2b3j55_b3fe9a88-0763-4202-8c0d-b9b35aacf693_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_s2hs42ajoitok055yu2b3j55_b3fe9a88-0763-4202-8c0d-b9b35aacf693_0_main.jpg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 3733 times