Burley Bar Stone - and the rest

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jim

Re: Burley Bar Stone - and the rest

Post by jim »

Looking at the various Leodis entries for "Bridge End" it is apparent that the numbering system is sequential (as opposed to odd numbers one side, evens the other). The Louis Le Prince building at the South East side of the bridge is identified in one picture as 17-19. and should therefore be the presumed ex-site of the bar.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

jim wrote:Looking at the various Leodis entries for "Bridge End" it is apparent that the numbering system is sequential (as opposed to odd numbers one side, evens the other). The Louis Le Prince building at the South East side of the bridge is identified in one picture as 17-19. and should therefore be the presumed ex-site of the bar.
I agree with you there jim looking at this http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex ... f011r.html
Attachments
Bridge End 18.png
Bridge End 18.png (325.76 KiB) Viewed 7147 times

liits

Post by liits »

Jim's right but it wasn't always the case. The Leeds Insurance maps [1901] show the property numbers and the properties on Bridge end start odd on the left as you cross N-S and even on the right. At the time, number 18 was along the riverside as indicated by the red arrow.
I would guess that when referring to the Strangers Guide to Leeds, you'd have to know which particular year they were talking about to discover where number 18 was as the property numbers change and move like you wouldn't believe [and this has been discussed at length in another thread].
I'd hazard a guess [and it is only that] that it was at the corner of Bridge End where number 12 is on the Insurance Map.
Attachments
Bridge End.jpg
Bridge End.jpg (537.63 KiB) Viewed 7147 times

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Number 18 Bridge End on the left (not the ones on stilts)

Here on Leodis with more info

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

liits wrote:Jim's right but it wasn't always the case. The Leeds Insurance maps [1901] show the property numbers and the properties on Bridge end start odd on the left as you cross N-S and even on the right. At the time, number 18 was along the riverside as indicated by the red arrow.
I would guess that when referring to the Strangers Guide to Leeds, you'd have to know which particular year they were talking about to discover where number 18 was as the property numbers change and move like you wouldn't believe [and this has been discussed at length in another thread].
I'd hazard a guess [and it is only that] that it was at the corner of Bridge End where number 12 is on the Insurance Map.
The numbering is really odd on that map. Looking at topr right of the map, Bridge End, it seems to start one, then go straight to 4.... Is this right or am I missing something?

liits

Post by liits »

No, you're not missing anything. 1 & 3 were probably the same business.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

LS1 wrote:The numbering is really odd on that map. Looking at topr right of the map, Bridge End, it seems to start one, then go straight to 4.... Is this right or am I missing something?
I think that number 4 is a typo and should have been 3. Number 4 is on the opposite side of the road.
When I worked at Swinegate many years ago number 8 was a newsagents but I cannot recall what 10 and 12 were. At this time 2,4 and 6 had been demolished and the LCT HQ at Swinegate had been built.

The picture below shows numbers 4 on the right and 6 on the left. In the centre is Tenter Lane Goit.

Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

jim

Post by jim »

As one would expect the Bar Stone to be at the side of the highway, is it possible that the building liits identifies was at the side of the road in earlier times, and that the "old" bridge was to the west of the current bridge?

Edit:- Checked with tithe map, 1847 OS, 1875 OS. New bridge built on same site. Theory shot down!
Last edited by jim on Sat 14 Feb, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

when the new Leeds bridge was built what alternatives were available. Would they have had to build the be ridge Ali guide the old and then demolish the old ?

liits

Post by liits »

I would imagine that the stone would have been at the side of the road, as Jim says, but that the buildings have been subjected to some re-numbering.