Where and what for

How well do you know Leeds?
Dalehelms

Re: Where and what for

Post by Dalehelms »

Good to hear from you Arry and a belated Appy New Year.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=8653

One of a run of poles as shown here.

Line to Rothwell colliery??

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

The Parksider wrote:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=8653

One of a run of poles as shown here.

Line to Rothwell colliery??
Not the poles in the picture and I cannot place where the pipes are, but correctly identified as going via Bank House and then I believe on to the colliery at Rothwell, these poles actually run between the river and the Navigation canal coming from the direction of Thwaite Mills.
There are more than one I just loved how nature had wrapped itself around this one.
There are a few more poles but you have to look for them.
They are on the Transpennine Trail cycle route in this section.
Attachments
Thorpe Hall Pasture.JPG
Thorpe Hall Pasture.JPG (57.02 KiB) Viewed 6900 times
Bank House.JPG
Bank House.JPG (403.64 KiB) Viewed 6900 times
Skelton Grange Road.JPG
Skelton Grange Road.JPG (369.43 KiB) Viewed 6900 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Well it does look like the path at the far end of GHP! (Lake on the left and Weetwood? path on the right)
(I AM 85 tha knaws!) Anybody OLDER joined in yet??
Thanks Dalehelms for New Year Greetings and Happy New Year to All!
Cheers AA

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi buffaloskinner :). It's not an area I know but it looks like it could be an interesting walk, assuming that walkers are allowed on the cycle track.

Hi Arry Awk :). You're still at least a mentally sprightly 85 year old! Always nice to see your posts. Your AA made me :).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Thanks Leodian! I keep trying but it's getting harder. Eh? Harder to remember I mean!
sorri! Got to go now (what's new! lol) 'Er indoors' is calling. teatime already?
Cheers,
will try and remember to log on tomorrow!
OK Swmbo darling, on my way down! Careful!
Tarra Arry

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Leodian wrote:Hi buffaloskinner :). It's not an area I know but it looks like it could be an interesting walk, assuming that walkers are allowed on the cycle track.
Yes the dirt track is for walkers also, I tend to park on the bridge to the old Power Station and then walk the track with the dog. There are numerous place where you can park and then have a stroll along the way, I usually go down to the old railway bridges from Rothwell pit.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

buffaloskinner wrote:
Leodian wrote:Hi buffaloskinner :). It's not an area I know but it looks like it could be an interesting walk, assuming that walkers are allowed on the cycle track.
Yes the dirt track is for walkers also, I tend to park on the bridge to the old Power Station and then walk the track with the dog. There are numerous place where you can park and then have a stroll along the way, I usually go down to the old railway bridges from Rothwell pit.
Hi buffaloskinner. Thanks for that information. :)

Mention of what I think must be Skelton Grange Power Station it reminded me that when it was being built in the late 1940s to the 1950s it totally changed the view over to Rothwell from where I lived in east Leeds. I watched some of its towers being demolished in the 1980s and somewhere I should have some photos that I took on a dull morning from at least half a mile away (so well out of the way if things did not go right!) and despite having to briefly wait before I could press the camera shutter each time (it was not digital then!) I was pleasantly surprised to see that I still managed to get shots of the towers coming down.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.