Victoriagate/Eastgate Quarter Development

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
cnosni
Site Admin

Re: Victoriagate/Eastgate Quarter Development

Post by cnosni »

As an aside perhaps Victoriagate has been responsible for the Quarry Hill development to raise its head again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-30826340

Seems that Caddick could either be updating the plan to retain planning permission and therefore the value of their land (Land Banking) or they may actually go ahead with it.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Seems the planning application has 2 conflicting layouts
Quarry Hill 2.JPG
Quarry Hill 2.JPG (120 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
Quarry Hill development.JPG
Quarry Hill development.JPG (138.57 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

re Quarry Hill plans. Getting to look more like New York every day. Has anyone checked the weather effect? Could get to be a no go area if the wind is in the wrong direction. ;)

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

cnosni wrote:Seems the planning application has 2 conflicting layouts
Bottom one is the 'as is'. Top one I presume is the 'proposed'.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took the first photo on January 20 2015 holding my camera right up to a metal grid covering a viewing window on St Peter's Street. The area is getting cleared away but I was a bit surprised to see that there still seems to be some bits of Millgarth Police Station still to be demolished.

The second photo (taken Jan 20 2015) shows that the digger had gone that was in the deep(ish) hole in the photo I took on Jan 15 that I posted on Jan 16. Could it be said that it has dug itself out of a hole! ;).
Attachments
002R.jpg
002R.jpg (116.69 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
003R.jpg
003R.jpg (161.63 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

We'll have to make sure we've got lots of photos of the footings etc to confirm there's no unused underpass or secret tunnel.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cardiarms wrote:We'll have to make sure we've got lots of photos of the footings etc to confirm there's no unused underpass or secret tunnel.
A tunnel all the way to Kirkstall Abbey would be an exciting find! :)

On a serious note as there will surely be some archaeological work done then I wonder what might be found, as the area may never have had any major archaeology done before.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Doubt they'll do any, money will be aimed at areas of interest. The area will have been dug over and cleared for the police stations, swimming baths and Eastgate. I might be wrong. There's probably an archaological assesment in the planning docs.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I stand corrected - it's already been done for the top half of the site, the 1941 emergency water tank had an impact! Lots to read here, scroll down to report, bodies, cellars, ditches:

http://plandocs.leeds.gov.uk/WAM/showCa ... 3/02967/FU

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Corner of George Street/ Harewood St/ Ludgate Hill had a cemetery there. When they were excavating behind the closed barriers I managed to get some pics.

About 10 years ago they were also excavating the same area and found an old whiskey bottle, antler from a deer and some other stuff. Would have been in the cellar of the Market Tavern.