Ornate building, 46-48 York Street - message for leo

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
hyperion

Ornate building, 46-48 York Street - message for leo

Post by hyperion »

Hiya leo
Down in leeds today just noticed a rather ornate building on york st between the old ice house /pilkington glass/mecca bingo, and the old bus station looks like its built out of burmantofts malmo ?maybe have you got a photo.Or maybe its already been demolished .lol.
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

Leodian

Re: message to leo

Post by Leodian »

hyperion wrote:Hiya leo
Down in leeds today just noticed a rather ornate building on york st between the old ice house /pilkington glass/mecca bingo, and the old bus station looks like its built out of burmantofts malmo ?maybe have you got a photo.Or maybe its already been demolished .lol.
Hi hyperion :).

I'm guessing you mean the very interesting looking building that houses the oven and nail places that is seen (hopefully!) in this link to a Google Street View that I've captured (the GSV url was very long so I've shortened it using a url shortening program):-
http://tinyurl.com/pufppu4

I will have passed it fairly often but I've never really noticed it before, so thanks for pointing it out. I shall try to go there some time soon but if anyone takes photo(s) before I do then please post them.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Hey hyperion - just to let you know there is now a Private Messaging system on SecretLeeds, so posts like this can be sent directly to the member if you wish? There are two small message icons under the user's profile information next to their posts, or you can use the full editor in the User Control Panel (click your username in the menu bar at the top of the page and selected User Control Panel > Private Messages.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

hyperion wrote:Hiya leo

In the very late 1950s the carpet firm I worked for moved into the large chapel on Cross York Street , behind the West Riding Bus Station (Red Bus, as it was known locally) and the Nail Bar you refer to was a Café owned by Malcolm who ran it very successfully but upset quite a lot of the Leeds Jewish Fraternity by riding round in a Volkswagon beetle, buying German cars was not the thing at the time he was a really nice lad and it was not long before he moved out and bought the Box Tree restaurant in Ilkley which became the No One in all England (Egon Ronay I think). it is nice to see the picture of such an elegant little building surviving among all that ugly glass and steel. Malcolm used to come back to the café in later years in a Aston Martin D.B. which also upset a few people. Mmm, Happy days......

Leodian

Re: Ornate building, 46-48 York Street - message for leo

Post by Leodian »

These are 3 photos that I took at the very interesting looking building today (November 19 2014). One is its frontage on York Street and the other 2 are zoomed-in views of some nice features. I thought I would also try to take photos of the rear view from the short 'Back York Street' (off 'Cross York Street') but I could not as there is a gated access/egress to a car parking area (presumably private) which stopped me from taking photographs of the building from there.
Attachments
008R.jpg
008R.jpg (116.65 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
009R.jpg
009R.jpg (52.59 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
010R.jpg
010R.jpg (114.65 KiB) Viewed 3223 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Does anyone know what this building was used for originally ?? Looking at maps & directories & the census it was built after 1911, it looks too grand to be just a shop.
I can find a couple of references to it on Leodis from 1935 when it was The British Weighing & Slicing Co :idea:

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
Attachments
York Street 1935.jpg 1.jpg
York Street 1935.jpg 1.jpg (13.86 KiB) Viewed 3208 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

uncle mick wrote:Does anyone know what this building was used for originally ?? Looking at maps & directories & the census it was built after 1911, it looks too grand to be just a shop.
I can find a couple of references to it on Leodis from 1935 when it was The British Weighing & Slicing Co :idea:

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
Originally "restaurant premises"

http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/res ... id=1375232

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks uncle mick for the information. :)

It's interesting that it was originally a restaurant seeing that part of it is now a fast food place.

scrabblerz

Post by scrabblerz »

Britain from above Picture EPW015897 shows this building from the back in 1926 no Bingo Hall next door , Is that a church next door with the many sided roof ? There is also another picture in 1948 with the Bingo Hall Built .
Been trying to cut or copy or something with the picture having problems , I think it can be done as long as you post the link where it came from .

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks scrabblerz :) .

This is the link to the June 24 1926 image. http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/imag ... 5897&ref=0

It's interesting that where the bus station is now was then a cleared area (possibly for the building of the bus station?). I wonder what the buildings were that are in the bottom right corner of what is now the bus station?