Where did all the hedgehogs go?

The green spaces and places of Leeds
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I've noticed that I've not seen a hedgehog either dead or alive for years now. I'm lucky enough to live in a part of north west Leeds where we see dozens of foxes, bats, owls, herons, kites etc but recently I've seen no hedgehogs whatsoever and I wondered what the situation was in other parts of Leeds.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

I actually took a pic of one two nights ago at the University fields at weetwood. I think they are becoming rare due tot he overuse of slug pellets. Slugs being their staple diet. Once saw a pair of hedgehogs mating and the noise was mental!
Come on Leeds United!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi jon. By coincidence I happened to recently mention to a neighbour the lack of hedgehogs dead or alive. That even dead ones on roads seem to be uncommon now (at least in the areas I see) is a clear indication that their numbers have seriously dropped. This hedgehog related SL thread may be of interest:- http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... adID=2938I like hedgehogs and miss seeing them around. I used to see one, occasionally two, in dusk/night locally but have not done so for a few years.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

Plenty of them up here, although I do see them in the mornings and evenings - or rather the dog does. Maybe they've learnt to stay away from roads.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Hi jonleedsI'm really surprised at your comments, I've lived in my present house for twenty five years, and I have had hedgehogs in my garden every year. some times very healthy hogs and some times ones with genetic defects. This year out of the five visitors one has a back leg missing (genetic ?) and one that walks like a drunken man,the one in the picture
Attachments
P1010849.jpg
P1010849.jpg (440.53 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That's a cute photo Hyperion. I particularly like the sparrow and hedgehog eating the food together. You mention possible genetic defects in hedgehogs. That reminds me of those pigeons still seen in the centre of Leeds that have deformed feet. I recall this was raised in the Yorkshire Evening Post a few years back and it was suggested that the deformatives were due to chemical damage on contact with lime being put down where pigeons perch or nest, to get rid of the pigeons. The use of that was though denied. I always did (and still do) think that a chemical effect was unlikely as all pigeons would be affected. That it may be a genetic defect, possibly due to inbreeding, seems likely to me. I wonder if that may be the case for at least some 'deformed' hedgehogs?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

A mate of mine has a family of hedgehogs living in his garden.Given the apparent shortage elsewhere, perhaps he's hogging the hedgehogs?     
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Hedgehogs, why not just share the hedge ?I'm here all week, try the fish.

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

You can build a hedgehog house if you like, my friend made one and its pretty simple. Got occupied within 24hrs as well (-:

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

[quotenick="sparky diet. Once saw a pair of hedgehogs mating and the noise was mental! When you think about it it is hardly surprising !!!.