Victoria Hotel

Places to explore
Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Last Saturday's Daily Telegraph Pint to Pint feature on the Victoria Hotel (on PageW16 of the Weekend section) says there was a tunnel from the Vic to Leeds Town Hall used by judges. Was there? Is there?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

It is possible... ... ... ... ... *shouts for Phil*
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Wasn't the pub itself used as a courtroom at one time, or is my memory faukty?I am at work so can't look it up but it rings a vague bell.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I don't know about a judicial tunnel, but the Victoria Hotel was built to accomodate those visiting the Leeds Assizes.More here: http://www.enjoyengland.com/ideas/food- ... tel.aspxIt has to be one of the best pubs in Leeds, for the beer , the ambience and the decor.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Reviving this old thread.Whilst in the Adelphi booking our 71/2 year party on 17th October today,I got chatting to a guy who mentioned that he had been down the tunnel mentioned above in the Victoria's cellar.He said it is bricked up halfway so access is no longer possible to the old town hall, and repeated the story that it was used by judges to access the town hall from the hotel.He also said it provided a safety route for judges to avoid the public in the event of a controversial decision!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

This article in the YEP from 2011 mentions the tunnel:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/w ... 3328643but then again as it is the YEP ,it could be in an entirely different pub<LOL>!

BJF

Post by BJF »

The mock irish pub by the Victoria used to house the juvenile courts.