Burley Bar Stone - and the rest

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
barnie

Post by barnie »

Leodian wrote: I had a chat with the same helpful young man that I did a couple of days back and he said he removed the cladding after I spoke to him then and was very interested in what he found. Demolition work is still ongoing inside the premises.     Hi Leodian, bearing the above in mind, do we have you to thank for the stone being unveiled? if so, well done and thank you! You might have saved it from a possible unfortunate fate by bringing it to the helpful chap's attention.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks barnie. I hope that there were already plans in place to be sure it was not demolished. Perhaps though my chat resulted in the exposure of the North Bar stone earlier than expected, but at least it is now definitely known to be there.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Leodian wrote: LS1 wrote: Steve Jones wrote: Well here is a chance for Secret Leeds to contact the Yorkshire Evening Post etc. to suggest a campaign to get it shifted into Leeds Museum before it gets damaged or defaced.It would also serve as a way to mention the new site<LOL>. Surely it's better of being preserved and then put back in situ once the work has been completed much in the same way that the Burly Bar Stone has? Hi LS1. To the best of my knowledge the Burley Bar Stone is kept at the Leeds Building Society on The Headrow. Apart from the North Bar Stone the only other one that I know of that is still in existence (I would love to be wrong on that) is the East Bar one at Leeds Minster (Leeds Parish Church that was!). As close to in situ as poss! Burley Bar Stone is in really poor condition. Best that it kept away from the elements.

BJF

Post by BJF »

I've been in touch with West Yorkshire Archaeology and they have arrangements made to store the North Bar stone and then have it reinstalled later.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

BJF wrote: I've been in touch with West Yorkshire Archaeology and they have arrangements made to store the North Bar stone and then have it reinstalled later.     That's good news. Thanks for that information BJF.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Thanks for the update BJF, good news.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

BJF wrote: I've been in touch with West Yorkshire Archaeology and they have arrangements made to store the North Bar stone and then have it reinstalled later.     Did they say when it would be removed?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

polos

Re: Burley Bar Stone - and the rest

Post by polos »

hey hey ive been reading a book called the strangers guide to leeds and i actually have an address for the south bar im guessing it might not be there anymore but someone could work out where it was, its ... South bar (landmark,) 18 bridge end S.

polos

Post by polos »

on the subject of the pawdmire stone and the greystone ive found out a bit more on them. The pawdmire stone was sunk beneath the pavement somewhere near call lane /duncan st and that area used to flood a lot and was the celebrated spawning ground of toads .
As for the greystone ive read many accounts of it being referred to and not once was it mentioned to as being near st peters im sure that info is wrong.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

polos wrote:hey hey ive been reading a book called the strangers guide to leeds and i actually have an address for the south bar im guessing it might not be there anymore but someone could work out where it was, its ... South bar (landmark,) 18 bridge end S.
Number 18 must be somewhere between Wine & Co and Windsor House. Wine and Co being number 20-22 and then next door Martin & Co is 24-32. That's moving away from the bridge. Moving towards Birggate after Wine and Co is the bridge then Windsor House so 18 must be in that area, though not sure on which side of the bridge it actually is/ was?