Jimmy Savile

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Not long before the whole Savile scandal blew up there was a very creepy wax work dummy of him for sale on Ebay.It had been on display in a cafe in Scarborough. I was prepared to go up to 50 quid to get it to play a prank on someone but it went for £150! I wonder what the sucessful bidder has done with it now? I bet it went on a bonfire!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Lilysmum wrote: Not long before the whole Savile scandal blew up there was a very creepy wax work dummy of him for sale on Ebay.It had been on display in a cafe in Scarborough. I was prepared to go up to 50 quid to get it to play a prank on someone but it went for £150! I wonder what the sucessful bidder has done with it now? I bet it went on a bonfire! Would have been good for Halloween, put it in the window and the Trick or Treaters would have stayed away.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Hi cnosni. By coincidence, I too thought that Jimmy Savile would be a more appropriate title. It will be interesting to see if other members have views on the subject and what their posts might be.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Dalehelms wrote: Hi cnosni. By coincidence, I too thought that Jimmy Savile would be a more appropriate title. It will be interesting to see if other members have views on the subject and what their posts might be. Yeah, we will give it tonight to see what people think, if no reasoned alternative is brought forward,a nd others agree ten we can change it.Its a subject that needs to be "aired" but i cant see how anyone can now even defend him even if there is a suspiscion that some of the claimants may be bogus.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

I see that the change has been executed. Thank you.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Someones changed it already!!!

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

I wonder who!!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Dalehelms wrote: I wonder who!! Perhaps Jim fixed it through his afterlife! and a bit for that!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I can't see anyone objecting now.

edlong

Post by edlong »

Well, looks like I'm too late to the party as the change has happened, but for the record, I don't think the title should have been changed.Part of the Jimmy Savile story is what he did. Another important part, maybe not as important, but definitely important, is how he got away with it, and how he was mourned, right up to the unveiling of that extravagant monument on his grave not long before the true facts emerged, and then what happened next.This thread is part of this historical record. You can see the story unravel in the pages of it - go back to page 1 and read the sentiments. The there's the middle bit, starting with denial, scepticism that the media were going to "do one" on a much loved celeb who was no longer around to defend himself. Then the revulsion as everyone realised what the truth was, and how horrible.Of all the sites I've seen where comments have been made about Savile, at any point of the story, this is the one where I would have thought people would appreciate the value of not going back and changing the historical record, a primary source for future historians looking at how the people of the city JS made his home reacted to his death and the aftermath. It is misleading. This thread was started as an "RIP" thread for JS, and something has been lost with this revisionism.I appreciate why the change has happened, and that the sentiment of "RIP" is no longer felt, but when it was posted, it was genuine, and something has been lost by retrospectively removing it.