Where is this balcony?

How well do you know Leeds?
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I have not done a W&W for a while, so I thought I would do this one which does not seem to have been used before as a W&W.The building with the interesting balcony is in LS1 (but not in York Place like two recent threads of mine). There are a number of interesting looking balconies on buildings in Leeds though many (like that in the photo) look as if they are no longer used (perhaps even closed off). I also like the carvings/mouldings on this building. I took the photo on April 1st 2014 but it is serious and not an April Fool item.
Attachments
004R.jpg
004R.jpg (95.74 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Looks like somewhere opposite that Italian restaraunt on Albion Place - Pasta Romagna, this place used to have a highly animated Italian mama who would be yelling at the staff and customers alike. What fascinates me in the city centre is the ornamental turrets / cupolas and windows you get on the victorian era buildings, many seem to be on floors no longer used as you often see boxes stacked up for years. I used to want to ask the store owners if I could go have a look in these strange little places. There are some classic examples right on the corner of Briggate / Duncan Street in the Yorkshire Building Society building and several more along Briggate.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hiya Jon. Well done. It's at the Costa next to the Body Shop on Albion Place, being opposite and just a little further down from the Pasta Romagna. The photo shows the location. As you say there are many floors (mostly high ones) that appear disused in the centre of Leeds. I often wonder what may be inside (such as old features). Equally I also wonder what is hidden away below ground.Regarding your "highly animated Italian mama who would be yelling at the staff and customers alike" at the Pasta Romagna" the YEP recently(ish) had a feature about her.
Attachments
003R.jpg
003R.jpg (101.29 KiB) Viewed 3321 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

This used to be the entrance to the Scala cinema / ballroom http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL    
Attachments
Scala.jpg
Scala.jpg (135.99 KiB) Viewed 3321 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote: This used to be the entrance to the Scala cinema / ballroom http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL I recall some cinemas in Leeds that were open when the Scala was and I used to go them (except the Tatler ) but I just cannot recall the Scala, so it's likely that I never went into that cinema for whatever reason (possibly the "Admission prices were 1/3d (6p) in the stalls and 2/4d (11.5p) in the circle" were too expensive, even if less for children).

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: uncle mick wrote: This used to be the entrance to the Scala cinema / ballroom http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL I recall some cinemas in Leeds that were open when the Scala was and I used to go them (except the Tatler ) but I just cannot recall the Scala, so it's likely that I never went into that cinema for whatever reason (possibly the "Admission prices were 1/3d (6p) in the stalls and 2/4d (11.5p) in the circle" were too expensive, even if less for children). At the risk of wandering off topic, that's the reason I have yet to frequent the Everyman Cinema in the Trinity - the idea behind it sounds appealing, but not at those prices!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I've also not been to the Everyman cinema. I may be wrong but my understanding is that it is a subscription paid membership cinema, so to go to it you need to be a member but still pay admission fees (the membership fee may include some 'free' visits).

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

uncle mick wrote: This used to be the entrance to the Scala cinema / ballroom http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL The Scala became John Peters furniture store and i recall going up in the lift to the old ballroom which was then used as a storeroom. the siver ball was still in the ceiling, the stage and the small kiosk that dispensed soft drinks were all still there (early 1970s)

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

I remember seeing a "Scala" sign on the roof of that building, viewed from the food court on the top floor of the Schofields Centre in the 1990s looking down Lands Lane, but the sign seems to have disappeared now (at least I can't see it on Google Maps and the ex-food court is no longer accessible).

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

The Scala dance hall above the cinema was a quite upmarket place to go to on a Saturday night compared to the Mecca Locarno, Majestic or Marc Altmans. tickets (5/-) were on sale during the day and come Sat night if you had no ticket, no entrance. Happy days.