Queens Hall - classic rock venue?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

As an adolescent growing up in Leeds in the very early 1980's was a desolate experience for a rock fan. The other northern cities were blessed with great traditional venues (Newcastle City Hall, Sheffield City Hall, Hanley Victoria Halls, Bradford St Georges Hall, Machester Apollo, Liverpool Empire, Glasgow Apollo etc) ........ Leeds was, sort of blessed, with the Queens HallThe Queens Hall, supposedly a top venue ....... a converted tramshed, with the appaling acoustics, a floor of rock solid concrete, appalling climatic conditions, stinking toilets & terrible catering set in those days the most dismal part of the city!But then as a teen when my heros arrived in town, there was no other place to be!First QH gig: Jan 24th 1981 Black Sabbath (supported by the utterly sh#t* AIIZ and the utterly superb Max Webster). A bizzare experience with a number of hand held crosses being set alightThe most inappropriate QH gig: Lindisfarne (Christmas ?1983 and sponsered by Radio Aire) ..... an odd choice for Lindisfarne, as their gigs at the Leeds Uni where a garunteed multi-pint fueled top class party experience Weirdest QH gig: No question, Rainbow 1981 ........ day after riots in Chapeltown, real tension in the air, masses of police, taxis radio bursting out over the PA ....... utterly brilliant gig (oh aye, I caught one of the drummers drumsticks).Worst QH gig: with the benefit of hindsight probably Motorhead (nothing wrong with the band ....... but in a hall with the acoustic characteristics of a concrete mixer, it really didnt work)Oddest support at a QH gig: Rose Tatto supporting some one or other. Angry Anderson proceeds to consume a bottle of clear spirit in the first thirty minutes of their set before collapsing in a heap on stage. The band continue to, err, rock until a roadie wanders on with a bucket of water which he empties over Angry. Stumbling to his feet he manages a couple more tunes before shambling off (the same character that sang the wedding theme for Scott and Charlene [kylie] marriage on neigbours)Best QH gig: Whitesnake (I think December 1982 Saint and sinners tour) with what I think was the QH record audience of 10,000 + The place was heaving and bounced the whole night long to the full back catalogue of classic heavy blues!I understand that the Queens Hall is no more and is now a car park. Not sure how much of a shame it is ........ but I really do have the fondest memories of some great nights (and days following with sore ankles, tender necks and ringing ears!)

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

grumpytramp wrote: As an adolescent growing up in Leeds in the very early 1980's was a desolate experience for a rock fan. The other northern cities were blessed with great traditional venues (Newcastle City Hall, Sheffield City Hall, Hanley Victoria Halls, Bradford St Georges Hall, Machester Apollo, Liverpool Empire, Glasgow Apollo etc) ........ Leeds was, sort of blessed, with the Queens HallThe Queens Hall, supposedly a top venue ....... a converted tramshed, with the appaling acoustics, a floor of rock solid concrete, appalling climatic conditions, stinking toilets & terrible catering set in those days the most dismal part of the city!But then as a teen when my heros arrived in town, there was no other place to be!First QH gig: Jan 24th 1981 Black Sabbath (supported by the utterly sh#t* AIIZ and the utterly superb Max Webster). A bizzare experience with a number of hand held crosses being set alightThe most inappropriate QH gig: Lindisfarne (Christmas ?1983 and sponsered by Radio Aire) ..... an odd choice for Lindisfarne, as their gigs at the Leeds Uni where a garunteed multi-pint fueled top class party experience Weirdest QH gig: No question, Rainbow 1981 ........ day after riots in Chapeltown, real tension in the air, masses of police, taxis radio bursting out over the PA ....... utterly brilliant gig (oh aye, I caught one of the drummers drumsticks).Worst QH gig: with the benefit of hindsight probably Motorhead (nothing wrong with the band ....... but in a hall with the acoustic characteristics of a concrete mixer, it really didnt work)Oddest support at a QH gig: Rose Tatto supporting some one or other. Angry Anderson proceeds to consume a bottle of clear spirit in the first thirty minutes of their set before collapsing in a heap on stage. The band continue to, err, rock until a roadie wanders on with a bucket of water which he empties over Angry. Stumbling to his feet he manages a couple more tunes before shambling off (the same character that sang the wedding theme for Scott and Charlene [kylie] marriage on neigbours)Best QH gig: Whitesnake (I think December 1982 Saint and sinners tour) with what I think was the QH record audience of 10,000 + The place was heaving and bounced the whole night long to the full back catalogue of classic heavy blues!I understand that the Queens Hall is no more and is now a car park. Not sure how much of a shame it is ........ but I really do have the fondest memories of some great nights (and days following with sore ankles, tender necks and ringing ears!) Sounds like you mispent your youth the same as me.Im sure Rose Tattoo supported Rainbow in 81.Missed Rainbow gig and Sabbath (though just saw that line up at Manc on Friday last)rainbow were my first rock band that i got into.Was at saints and sinners in 82,got to the front row,right in front of Dave.This was my very first gig,and what a monster!!I was lucky enough not only to witness one of the greatest rock/blues singers but also the late great Cozy Powell and, until then an unknown to me chap called John Lord.only knew his name because it was painted on all his equipment and as a young rock at his first gig seeing mr Powell perform his ahem,understated drum solo,and being mightily impressed by that my most vivid memory of the night was watching this Lordy bloke squeeze so much out of his hammond (organ),and then when he started rocking it backwards and forwards and creating sounds like an earthquake.Also saw Kiss there on the unmasked tour with a support act called Bon Jovi ,who blew Kiss away.Saw Saxon,Dio,Whitesnake again on slide it in tour,Def Leppard(christ they were pants!)Missed ACDC who had their cannons banned by the council,though im led to believe that they defied the council and used them anyway.As for the hall,it was pants really.The pillars blocked any decent view and the low ceiling trapped all the sweat from the crowd which collected in the ceiling and then condensed and fell to the floor,mixing with the spilt beer and god knows what else.The catering was provided by burger stalls that you get outside football grounds on matchdays and the toilets,well lets not go there.However as usual i have only fond memories of the place,no negative experiences occured at all,which is more than i can say for places like the MEN.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

What about the Futurama Festival in 1979 and 1980? Joy Division played at the first one. See: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2006/ ... nge_1.html

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

I remember the Sabbath & Whitesnake gigs well, also saw Rush there in 1980, Thin Lizzy on about three or four occasions from late 70's to mid 80's and Motorhead in I think 80/81ish. The thing I seem to always remember about the Queens Hall was that after every gig my footwear was always coated in red paint or something very similar. I notice that there are no good photo's of the QH on Leodis.

gbdlufc

Post by gbdlufc »

Went to see Motorhead there in 1981 I think it was, Im sure Girls-school supported them? Slightly off topic of bands I remember me and a mate of mine been pictured with a guy called William Barfield who introduced speedwheels (in line skates) 1978ish, still got the picture from the Evening Post, I will see if I can post it tomorrow,happy times.

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

I only ever went to the Queen's Hall twice, and didn't pay either time - first for Dio in May '85 (only my third ever gig - I won tickets for that from the Evening Post), then for the Christmas On Earth thrash metal festival with Megadeth, Overkill and Nuclear Assault in December '87 (my mate knew one of the electricians that worked there and he sneaked us in he back door). Reputedly it was the fourth biggest venue in the UK at the time, but my God it was a shambolic place. I remember looking up at the stars through the holes in the roof...

stevief

Post by stevief »

It's tragic that Leeds still lacks a quality concert hall or arena most other cities take for granted.It's always been the case,back in the 70s I travelled to Bradford,Manchester,Sheffield or even Newcastleto see the top rock acts of the day.I saw Thin Lizzy,Whitesnake and Rush(who made a fair attempt to get to grips with the acoustics) in the QH. I'd seen Motorhead in the 70s at the Fforde Grene and around the same time Rose Tattoo-for whom they moved all the chairs and tables out of the concert room to cram as many in as possible-and yes,he was drinking vodka like it was water but they put on one hell of a show!

Terrym

Post by Terrym »

I remember been taken to the Queens Hall when I was little (early 60s) to see a group called The Grumbleweeds. We also watched a feature called the Dancing Waters.A lot of years later I got to know Carl Sutcliffe from the Grumbleweeds and asked him if he remembered appearing there.It turned out that this was one of there very first gigs.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

went to see the jam there,when a bloke in the audience got on the wrong end of paul wellers temper...also saw them at the poly...with the clash too.....top days.remember when people played instruments...real music days.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

I seem to remember going there to see a circus with my grandfather in the early 60s.