West Riding Sports Ground Meanwood Road

The green spaces and places of Leeds
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

It appears the recreation ground was sold in 1900. Taken from The Leeds Mercury 10th Nov 1900
Attachments
Holbeck CC.png sale.png
Holbeck CC.png sale.png (93.29 KiB) Viewed 3955 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Clarence Fieldhttp://tinyurl.com/l4zf5wt
Attachments
Clarence Field.png 1.png
Clarence Field.png 1.png (78.66 KiB) Viewed 3955 times

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

uncle mick wrote: It appears the recreation ground was sold in 1900. Taken from The Leeds Mercury 10th Nov 1900 Holbeck C.C.moved to the ground behind the New Peacock on Elland road, whilst the rugby club played on the site of Elland Road football ground.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

The white horse ground is a good shout Leo.Thanks to Uncle Mick again.Interesting dragging Micks maps about there's an 1875 enclosed Football/Rugby ground by the side of the Railway Viaduct in Domestic Street!!...Also the old Low Road ground. Hunslet AFC played there for a time. It's tough matching the old clubs to the old grounds, would need hours in the library.Sounds good though!!

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

The Parksider wrote: The white horse ground is a good shout Leo.Thanks to Uncle Mick again.Interesting dragging Micks maps about there's an 1875 enclosed Football/Rugby ground by the side of the Railway Viaduct in Domestic Street!!...Also the old Low Road ground. Hunslet AFC played there for a time. It's tough matching the old clubs to the old grounds, would need hours in the library.Sounds good though!! I have tried dragging the maps but can't locate the ground in Domestic Street. Is it where the Lemi was? (There was a thread about the Lemi a while ago, as I recall) My parents had a shop on Geldard Road and we used to play football on the Lemi and walk across it on the way to school.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Chiron wrote: The Parksider wrote: The white horse ground is a good shout Leo.Thanks to Uncle Mick again.Interesting dragging Micks maps about there's an 1875 enclosed Football/Rugby ground by the side of the Railway Viaduct in Domestic Street!!...Also the old Low Road ground. Hunslet AFC played there for a time. It's tough matching the old clubs to the old grounds, would need hours in the library.Sounds good though!! I have tried dragging the maps but can't locate the ground in Domestic Street. Is it where the Lemi was? (There was a thread about the Lemi a while ago, as I recall) My parents had a shop on Geldard Road and we used to play football on the Lemi and walk across it on the way to school. The ground on Domestic Street (marked Central Grounds)http://tinyurl.com/nvmbfd9The Lemi (also known as Mill Green) was on the other side of the railway trackThread about the Lemihttp://162.13.5.145/forum/Messages.aspx?ThreadID=368&StartAtMessage=0    
Attachments
Lemi.png
Lemi.png (94.75 KiB) Viewed 3955 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

The ground on Domestic Street marked " Central Grounds". Here's a snippet from 12th August 1893EDIT - This was the home of Leeds Central FC    
Attachments
Central Ground Holbeck.png
Central Ground Holbeck.png (81.13 KiB) Viewed 3955 times

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

uncle mick wrote: Chiron wrote: The Parksider wrote: The white horse ground is a good shout Leo.Thanks to Uncle Mick again.Interesting dragging Micks maps about there's an 1875 enclosed Football/Rugby ground by the side of the Railway Viaduct in Domestic Street!!...Also the old Low Road ground. Hunslet AFC played there for a time. It's tough matching the old clubs to the old grounds, would need hours in the library.Sounds good though!! I have tried dragging the maps but can't locate the ground in Domestic Street. Is it where the Lemi was? (There was a thread about the Lemi a while ago, as I recall) My parents had a shop on Geldard Road and we used to play football on the Lemi and walk across it on the way to school. The ground on Domestic Street (marked Central Grounds)http://tinyurl.com/nvmbfd9The Lemi (also known as Mill Green) was on the other side of the railway trackThread about the Lemihttp://162.13.5.145/forum/Messages.aspx?ThreadID=368&StartAtMessage=0     Thanks very much for the map and info about Central Grounds. Also brought back good memories re- reading the thread about the Lemi

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

"...the cyclists will also relieve each other as often as they think fit"Hmm...    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

drapesy wrote: "...the cyclists will also relieve each other as often as they think fit"Hmm...     .................. "the cowboy won very easily by just over two miles"
Attachments
Central Grounds Cowboy.jpg
Central Grounds Cowboy.jpg (147.36 KiB) Viewed 3955 times