Leeds United Nickname

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
zip55

Post by zip55 »

Loiner1960 wrote: When Don Revie became manager of Leeds he changed the strip to all white as he wanted them to be like Juvenus I think. The team played in Blue and Amber up until then. No-one called LUFC the "Peacocks." as it made no sense. I remember the New Peacock was a rough hole and the Peacock, was worse. Real Madrid it was.

Bert

Post by Bert »

Blue and Old Gold it was called.

Bert

Post by Bert »

Lyndoch wrote: I was looking at some pictures of Leeds from here in South Australia and came upon a football site.. They gave the Nickname of Leeds United as simply "United"... This is not so.. They are '"The Peacocks".. becauseElland Road ground was situated between The Old Peacock pub and The New Peacock Pub.. I have no idea if they are still there but this is an error!I remember getting John Charles autograph in a fish and chip shop opposite the ground.. How things have changed Eh! And I remember in about 1962/63 finding myself sitting in the same carriage as the Leeds United team on a train from Leeds Central to Kings Cross, me on the way back to work after a visit home and them on their way to play a league match in London. How things have changed indeed.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Bert wrote: Lyndoch wrote: I was looking at some pictures of Leeds from here in South Australia and came upon a football site.. They gave the Nickname of Leeds United as simply "United"... This is not so.. They are '"The Peacocks".. becauseElland Road ground was situated between The Old Peacock pub and The New Peacock Pub.. I have no idea if they are still there but this is an error!I remember getting John Charles autograph in a fish and chip shop opposite the ground.. How things have changed Eh! And I remember in about 1962/63 finding myself sitting in the same carriage as the Leeds United team on a train from Leeds Central to Kings Cross, me on the way back to work after a visit home and them on their way to play a league match in London. How things have changed indeed. I hardly dare mention this on this thread, but apparently some team from the other side of t'hill (Newton Heath, I think ) now use the train to get to all their games in London - except now they have the front two first class carriages locked out for their exclusive use. Things have gone full circle.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

raveydavey wrote: I hardly dare mention this on this thread, but apparently some team from the other side of t'hill (Newton Heath, I think ) now use the train to get to all their games in London - except now they have the front two first class carriages locked out for their exclusive use. Things have gone full circle. And so they should indeed.Going back to there roots at last That (other team you daren't mention) started out as Newton Heath railway depot 'carriage & wagon works dept' for the L&Y railway lol
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Bert wrote: Blue and Old Gold it was called. Terrys Old Gold??Oh no it was All Gold, DUHHHRRRR    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Hi SL'ers and seasons greetings to one and all.As it's that time of the year...........I will continue this thread and re-enquire why anyone thinks Leeds Utd are called the Peacocks.I've read the suggestions but have discovered a possible alternative.It may be tentative but certainly worth due consideration ! I eagerly await a flood of responses.(a few would suffice)..... cheers
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

somme1916 wrote: Hi SL'ers and seasons greetings to one and all.As it's that time of the year...........I will continue this thread and re-enquire why anyone thinks Leeds Utd are called the Peacocks.I've read the suggestions but have discovered a possible alternative.It may be tentative but certainly worth due consideration ! I eagerly await a flood of responses.(a few would suffice)..... cheers I started watching L.U. in the 50's when they played in blue & gold quarter shirts and was under the impression the nickname Peacocks was because of the dazzling colours. I think I prefer the reason it was because of the Peacock pubs. One thing I do miss about the Leeds shirt was the removal of the city coat of arms and its replacement with the owl and now rose logos. Am I correct in saying that in those days you had to have represented the city to wear the coat of arms, perhaps someone on SL knows?    
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Johnny39 wrote: somme1916 wrote: Hi SL'ers and seasons greetings to one and all.As it's that time of the year...........I will continue this thread and re-enquire why anyone thinks Leeds Utd are called the Peacocks.I've read the suggestions but have discovered a possible alternative.It may be tentative but certainly worth due consideration ! I eagerly await a flood of responses.(a few would suffice)..... cheers I started watching L.U. in the 50's when they played in blue & gold quarter shirts and was under the impression the nickname Peacocks was because of the dazzling colours. I think I prefer the reason it was because of the Peacock pubs. One thing I do miss about the Leeds shirt was the removal of the city coat of arms and its replacement with the owl and now rose logos. Am I correct in saying that in those days you had to have represented the city to wear the coat of arms, perhaps someone on SL knows?     My 82 year old uncle used to be an Elland Rd regular back in the day and he too remembers the quatered shirt colours, but I have never seen a photo of said shirt and can find no evidence of it online :http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Leeds_U ... United.htm

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Hats Off wrote: Johnny39 wrote: somme1916 wrote: Hi SL'ers and seasons greetings to one and all.As it's that time of the year...........I will continue this thread and re-enquire why anyone thinks Leeds Utd are called the Peacocks.I've read the suggestions but have discovered a possible alternative.It may be tentative but certainly worth due consideration ! I eagerly await a flood of responses.(a few would suffice)..... cheers I started watching L.U. in the 50's when they played in blue & gold quarter shirts and was under the impression the nickname Peacocks was because of the dazzling colours. I think I prefer the reason it was because of the Peacock pubs. One thing I do miss about the Leeds shirt was the removal of the city coat of arms and its replacement with the owl and now rose logos. Am I correct in saying that in those days you had to have represented the city to wear the coat of arms, perhaps someone on SL knows?     My 82 year old uncle used to be an Elland Rd regular back in the day and he too remembers the quatered shirt colours, but I have never seen a photo of said shirt and can find no evidence of it online :http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Leeds_U ... United.htm On reflection H.O. I think perhaps you are correct. I have looked myself and can find no pic. of said quartered shirt. I think I must be mixing it up with the halves and different coloured sleeves. I would have put money on there being a quarter strip but time and tide etc.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?