Glovers Chemical plant, Wortley

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
ukemaxxer

Post by ukemaxxer »

This is a bit of a long shot, is there any one on the forum who knows of the Glovers Chemical plant which used to be in Wortley, opposite Ringways many years ago.My dad used to work there probably 40 years ago, there was a big explosion in one of the vats in use. Many workers were badly burned, not sure if there were any fatalities though. Quite a few of our family members worked there, all deceased now.I'm trying to find out what was made on the site, as my fathers death has been reffered to the corroner, due to a potential industrial link.Any information would be greatly appreciated

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

This might be of use:www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1955-Rr-Haworth-Blac ... 956641It's a listing on eBay for some old advertisements, including one for Glovers of Wortley Low Mills Leeds 12 and appears to list many of their products.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

ukemaxxer wrote: This is a bit of a long shot, is there any one on the forum who knows of the Glovers Chemical plant which used to be in Wortley, opposite Ringways many years ago.My dad used to work there probably 40 years ago, there was a big explosion in one of the vats in use. Many workers were badly burned, not sure if there were any fatalities though. Quite a few of our family members worked there, all deceased now.I'm trying to find out what was made on the site, as my fathers death has been reffered to the corroner, due to a potential industrial link.Any information would be greatly appreciated http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... =9733Cloth and later Woollen mills, and the Providence dye works.Some nasty dyes over the years have caused health problems.

Treadstone71

Post by Treadstone71 »

When abouts did this explosion take place.I just about remember a serious fire there, which may have been the result of an explosion. Will have been sometime between 80 and 85 as I was at Lower Wortley school at the time. I remember it being one night and all the local roads were closed. People from nearby houses were evacuated so I presume there was risk of explosions or chemicals had been released.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

diglet01

Post by diglet01 »

I can recall a policeman knocking on our door in the middle of the night telling us Glovers was on fire and we had to evacuate the house. So along with the neighbours we made our way down to the Dragon Inn car park on Whitehall Road where we sat in double decker buses which had been laid on for us, we were sat there for a couple of hours until the all clear was given. I would say it was around the mid to late 70s when it happened..

Gloversemployee

Re:

Post by Gloversemployee »

ukemaxxer wrote:This is a bit of a long shot, is there any one on the forum who knows of the Glovers Chemical plant which used to be in Wortley, opposite Ringways many years ago.My dad used to work there probably 40 years ago, there was a big explosion in one of the vats in use. Many workers were badly burned, not sure if there were any fatalities though. Quite a few of our family members worked there, all deceased now.I'm trying to find out what was made on the site, as my fathers death has been reffered to the corroner, due to a potential industrial link.Any information would be greatly appreciated
Hello ukemaxxer, I might have a lot of information regarding that Glovers explosion. Contact me!

Gloversemployee

Re:

ukemaxxer wrote:This is a bit of a long shot, is there any one on the forum who knows of the Glovers Chemical plant which used to be in Wortley, opposite Ringways many years ago.My dad used to work there probably 40 years ago, there was a big explosion in one of the vats in use. Many workers were badly burned, not sure if there were any fatalities though. Quite a few of our family members worked there, all deceased now.I'm trying to find out what was made on the site, as my fathers death has been reffered to the corroner, due to a potential industrial link.Any information would be greatly appreciated
Hello ukemaxxer, I might have a lot of information regarding that Glovers explosion. Contact me!

tyke bhoy

Re: Glovers Chemical plant, Wortley

Post by tyke bhoy »

Welcome Gloversemployee. As I tend to do to manage expectations when old threads are restarted. The original post on this thread by ukemaxxer is almost 4 years old. The lack of a most recently active on his/her user profile suggests no visit to the site since the last major upgrade (2015?). It is possible if subscribed to the thread even on the old site software that an email notification may have been sent and received but that's a big if. In short there may be a response but given the passage of time there may not. Please don't let that prevent you from posting something that the rest of us may find interesting.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Gloversemployee

Re: Glovers Chemical plant, Wortley

Sorry, tyke bhoy, but I was on the technical team at Glovers and my knowledge is very specific and not of general interest.