Don't think this has been mentioned yet

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
michael-k

Post by michael-k »

...apologies if it has.I always thought that the 'swan with two necks' was a particularly odd name for a pub. It was, and I presume still is in Woodhouse, but I haven't been there for years.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I think it's boarded up now, at least that's what I was told last night. Wasn't it called 'The Swan With Two NICKS'? As the pub sign had a Swan with one neck but it had two 'nicks' on it's neck??????
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

michael-k wrote: ...apologies if it has.I always thought that the 'swan with two necks' was a particularly odd name for a pub. It was, and I presume still is in Woodhouse, but I haven't been there for years. A common name around the country. Most such pubs ascribe the name to the practice if cutting notches in the plumage of the birds to identify which stretch of river they came from. IE it should really be "The swan with two nicks".As for Raglan Rd. in Woodhouse, seems it more likely refers to a Duck flying backwards in Pudsey (to keep the muck out of it's eyes) that strayed over the Leeds boundary and got "Blinded by the light".
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

NOt connected with the "swan neck" of the beer engine then? Most pubs called "Cock and Bottle" say sold ale to take out from the tap (cock) into a bottle.
Industria Omnia Vincit

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

This HAS been gone into before at some length - but in the absence of a proper search facility its hard to find out. Its covered on pages 2 and 3 of the 'Pubs worth Celebrating' thread (it was open at the time but is now sadly boarded up - a state it has been in for about 6 months.)it was /is called the 'Swan with two necks'I'd like to do an index of pubs on the site - its just finding the time.    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

What's wrong with our search facility then? Seems to work OK to me... though you might not have spotted it lurking away in the navigation bar at the top of the page!As regards making its existence a bit more obvious, I'm just looking into adding a button on the left hand side of all the pages on the site at the mo (where the somewhat passe Celebrate Leeds banner is currently).Ta,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Though it returns nowt for a search for 'swan with two necks' admittedly...(dsco hides head in shame)Searching for one and two word combinations seems to work better:http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Search ... Page=1Best go look into phrase searches as well then...dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Oops - linking to searches doesn't work right either....Hmm. Starting to wish I hadn't responded at all!Will try sort this out

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

dsco wrote: Oops - linking to searches doesn't work right either....Hmm. Starting to wish I hadn't responded at all!Will try sort this out And when that's sort.... How about some thought to pointing newbys to the older threads dsco?It's not immediately obvious to many I think that threads going back through the eons of - SL are there, as well as the 'Front Page active topics.

Yorkshire Pud

Post by Yorkshire Pud »

Bramley4woods wrote: michael-k wrote: ...apologies if it has.I always thought that the 'swan with two necks' was a particularly odd name for a pub. It was, and I presume still is in Woodhouse, but I haven't been there for years. As for Raglan Rd. in Woodhouse, seems it more likely refers to a Duck flying backwards in Pudsey (to keep the muck out of it's eyes) that strayed over the Leeds boundary and got "Blinded by the light". I thought that it was on Ilkley Moor where the ducks flew backwards, well thats what we used to sing in the song (Ilkley moor b'tat) anyway!
Change is inevitable, but never from a vending machine!