LS1 General Elliot

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
Seacrofter

Post by Seacrofter »

Ah The General Elliot, still going strong and still a Sam Smiths pub! Love nipping in for a few cheap and cheerful pints of Sovereign!

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

When i was courting my first wife in the 1950s we used to go in the Elliot upstairs at lunchtime, very snug and cosy up there in those days. ( with hindesight i should hve left her there )

Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

No General Elliot pub in Gib but there is an Elliot hotel
life is not a dress rehearsal

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I'm pretty certain the general was a hero of the Crimean War ,a topical subject at the moment!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: I'm pretty certain the general was a hero of the Crimean War ,a topical subject at the moment! Read earlier posts Steve, he was around in the Georgeian era, not Victorian
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

cnosni wrote: Steve Jones wrote: I'm pretty certain the general was a hero of the Crimean War ,a topical subject at the moment! Read earlier posts Steve, he was around in the Georgian era, not Victorian yeah ,my fault.I confused him with General Campbell.There are quite a few other General Elliott pubs about when you Google it.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I've noticed that the pub uses 'Eliott' as its name on a sign and on one window, but on 2 windows it uses 'Elliot'. I thought it may have been mentioned before in this thread and have found that it has. I'm curious though to know if anyone knows if the differing spelling is an accidental error or perhaps deliberate to get the pub publicity at some stage in the past? I also wonder how long the differing spelling has been there?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

A friend of mine, sadly deceased a few years ago, frequented most of the City centre pubs for many many years to the exclusion of any other leisure activity, and his behaviour could become more raucous and abusive with each pint of the golden nectar.Another friend told me one day that A had definitely reached the bottom of the downward spiral by being "Scratched" (barred) from the Elliot !!"     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leodian

Re: LS1 General Elliot

Post by Leodian »

Passing by the General Elliot/Eliott pub today (March 31 2017) I noticed it is closed for refurbishment. I've never been in it so I wonder, as it is a very old pub, if there are any very old features still there?

Perhaps the refurbishment will result in a change to the differing spellings of the name on the windows, though I suspect not.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Re: LS1 General Elliot

Post by volvojack »

In the late 1950s when i was courting my future wife we usd to meet every lunchtime and go upstairs in the Elliot, we wer always the only ones and although it was quite nice it looked as though it was not used very often. We would never have gone downstairs as in those days City Centre pubs were always busy at Lunchtimes and the clientele wa quite varied.
As for its age i would think it was a very old pub judging by its decor etc. in those days.

P.S. Just scrolling back through previous pages and notice that in 2014 i posted a similar one to this , in that i mentioned that the girl was now my Ex. Wife, Thank Goodness.
Last edited by volvojack on Sat 01 Apr, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.