LS2 The Chemic

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
munki

Post by munki »

From electrical daveThe Chemic in Woodhouse, and the street on which is stands both get their name from the nearby Johnstons Chemical Works whose main product was sulphuric acid ( back then it would have been called Vitriol or oil of vitriol), although it also had other chemical products.The factory was demolished in the 1890's, and the 'Marions' streets of housing were built in its place.For the middle and later Victorian history Woodhouse, and the nearby part of Meanwood have been involved in chemical and dyeing and before that Woodhouse especially was pretty much out of the Leeds industrial miasma.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

The Marians, site of the former Johnston's Chemical Works, from which the Chemic Tavern took its name.Pic from www.leodies.net
Attachments
__TFMF_u2bj5e55fe0kqdz3p54frd45_0af5369f-0d81-4b6c-91d2-eef7d44363c7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_u2bj5e55fe0kqdz3p54frd45_0af5369f-0d81-4b6c-91d2-eef7d44363c7_0_main.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 14241 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Munki,Your photograph is of Back Marian Road which ran parallel with Woodhouse Street. In the 40's and 50's I was brought up in Eltham Terrace which was just off the location of the photograph. This would be about 250 yards from the Chemic Tavern. I also went to Quarry Mount School which was another short distance behind the Chemic towards Woodhouse Ridge.The landlord of the pub, at the time that I lived there, was Clifford Peel. My father and grandfather were founder members of the Chemic Angling Club (which is apparently now defunct).There are photographs of the pub on the Leodis site, along with Slingers Fish and Chip Shop, which was between the pub and Woodhouse Street.In my recollection of my childhood, the area was a good working class area. When the Marians, Elthams, Jubilees, Holborns, etc., etc., were demolished and replaced with council houses, the area seemed to become an overflow area of Chapeltown. At the same time, students started to move into the area and rent houses, particularly around the Delph Lane, Cliff Road, Quarry Mount and Ridge areas. The knock on effect of all this was an increase in crime (burglary, robbery, theft, motor crime and criminal damage) and all that goes with it and the area has, sadly, never recovered.Ian

chomic

Post by chomic »

LS2? Surely the Chemic Tavern is Leeds 6.

mozza

Post by mozza »

the chemic was one of many leeds pubs that brewed its own beer . i have a scan of one of their beer bottle labels and if i can figure out how to i will post it.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

chomic wrote: LS2? Surely the Chemic Tavern is Leeds 6. The Chemic Tavern9 Johnston StreetWoodhouseLeedsWest YorkshireLS6 2NG
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.