Pub Names & What They Mean.

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
Si

Post by Si »

sundowner wrote: Si wrote: stutterdog wrote: Perhaps I can stretch Drapeseys knowledge! What do you know about a pub in Fulneck ,Pudsey called the Fulneck Arms? I heard that it was demolished to make way for the science block connected to Fulneck School? I've never heard of a pub in Fulneck, but I stand to be corrected. I thought the Moravians were teetotal, and so would not have a pub on the site. A bit like Saltaire? I know what you mean si but there was a pub in Fulneck. It was joined to what was the tuck shop now the restaurant.The old science block was built on the site it is now the Robinson Building where they teach art and maths cookery and geography. Thanks, Sundowner. I thought the nearest pub was the Bankhouse.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Si wrote: sundowner wrote: Si wrote: stutterdog wrote: Perhaps I can stretch Drapeseys knowledge! What do you know about a pub in Fulneck ,Pudsey called the Fulneck Arms? I heard that it was demolished to make way for the science block connected to Fulneck School? I've never heard of a pub in Fulneck, but I stand to be corrected. I thought the Moravians were teetotal, and so would not have a pub on the site. A bit like Saltaire? I know what you mean si but there was a pub in Fulneck. It was joined to what was the tuck shop now the restaurant.The old science block was built on the site it is now the Robinson Building where they teach art and maths cookery and geography. Thanks, Sundowner. I thought the nearest pub was the Bankhouse. If you visit the Pudsey Civic Society's website and click on pictures of Pudsey Fulneck.There is a Photo of the pub Which was closed as such by the Moravians.The building itself collapsed in 1968 after some cottages adjacent were demolished.
ex-Armley lad

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks Stutterdog. I lived in Pudsey in 1968, but don't remember the event, particularly as it happened on Christmas Eve. We sometimes went sledging on Fulneck golf course around Christmas. I guess it wasn't a white one that year! I do remember a building on Waterloo Road suddenly collapsing into the street, but that was about ten years later.    

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Si wrote: Thanks Stutterdog. I lived in Pudsey in 1968, but don't remember the event, particularly as it happened on Christmas Eve. We sometimes went sledging on Fulneck golf course around Christmas. I guess it wasn't a white one that year! I do remember a building on Waterloo Road suddenly collapsing into the street, but that was about ten years later.     I dont remember the building on Waterloo rd collapsing Si. Wouldn't it have been nice if the pub at Fulneck had still existed? Another pub to visit!
ex-Armley lad

Si

Post by Si »

stutterdog wrote: Si wrote: Thanks Stutterdog. I lived in Pudsey in 1968, but don't remember the event, particularly as it happened on Christmas Eve. We sometimes went sledging on Fulneck golf course around Christmas. I guess it wasn't a white one that year! I do remember a building on Waterloo Road suddenly collapsing into the street, but that was about ten years later.     I dont remember the building on Waterloo rd collapsing Si. Wouldn't it have been nice if the pub at Fulneck had still existed? Another pub to visit! Like there weren't enough in Pudsey!!! I'll have to try and list them all on here one day, Stutterdog!A friend of my dad's bought the house on Waterloo Road. It was quite old, and the chap didn't have a survey done. As soon as he completed, it fell down! The gap left by the collapse can still be seen.     

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Si wrote: stutterdog wrote: Si wrote: Thanks Stutterdog. I lived in Pudsey in 1968, but don't remember the event, particularly as it happened on Christmas Eve. We sometimes went sledging on Fulneck golf course around Christmas. I guess it wasn't a white one that year! I do remember a building on Waterloo Road suddenly collapsing into the street, but that was about ten years later.     I dont remember the building on Waterloo rd collapsing Si. Wouldn't it have been nice if the pub at Fulneck had still existed? Another pub to visit! Like there weren't enough in Pudsey!!! I'll have to try and list them all on here one day, Stutterdog!A friend of my dad's bought the house on Waterloo Road. It was quite old, and the chap didn't have a survey done. As soon as he completed, it fell down! The gap left by the collapse can still be seen.      Aye lad! But you wouldn't want to go in some of 'em!
ex-Armley lad

bigpee

Post by bigpee »

stutterdog wrote: Si wrote: stutterdog wrote: Si wrote: Thanks Stutterdog. I lived in Pudsey in 1968, but don't remember the event, particularly as it happened on Christmas Eve. We sometimes went sledging on Fulneck golf course around Christmas. I guess it wasn't a white one that year! I do remember a building on Waterloo Road suddenly collapsing into the street, but that was about ten years later.     I dont remember the building on Waterloo rd collapsing Si. Wouldn't it have been nice if the pub at Fulneck had still existed? Another pub to visit! Like there weren't enough in Pudsey!!! I'll have to try and list them all on here one day, Stutterdog!A friend of my dad's bought the house on Waterloo Road. It was quite old, and the chap didn't have a survey done. As soon as he completed, it fell down! The gap left by the collapse can still be seen.      Aye lad! But you wouldn't want to go in some of 'em! Went to Fulneck School from 1977 until 1986 and there was a pub next to what is now Zacharys restaurant (the tuck shop in my day) which was known as the Fulneck Inn but it closed as a pub following the opposition of Joseph Livesey to the consumption of alcohol. The building was later used by the school until as above the cottages to the left were pulled down which later caused the pub itself to collapse. In its place a science block was erected which as already pointed out is now used for the teaching of several subjects. To the right of the picture you can see the grass banking, and just out of shot to the left is the "horseshoe" car park which still exists.I know people on this site love tunnels etc. and if you ever get access there are plenty of hidden passages and tunnels under the school - don't let anyone tell you they're not there - I've been in them!!!
Attachments
__TFMF_ldyyrm55oxws3ba5xibjbqnk_fbd148bb-a343-484c-8e91-136ccab5d77d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ldyyrm55oxws3ba5xibjbqnk_fbd148bb-a343-484c-8e91-136ccab5d77d_0_main.jpg (159.02 KiB) Viewed 30421 times

robontheroad

Post by robontheroad »

There are, I think, twp tunnels under what was the Fulneck Boys school... they start from the back of the school (paved area) and go under the building and come out in the front lawn. I had the keys to get into them when I worked at Fulneck as some of the computer networks fibre optic cables run down there    

BJF

Post by BJF »

Going bank in the thread. I always assumed the Beulah was named from a biblical quotation "on Beulah Heights", looking down on to the promised land.The pub does have a commanding position over Cockersdale/ Troydale.

tilly

Post by tilly »

robontheroad wrote: There are, I think, twp tunnels under what was the Fulneck Boys school... they start from the back of the school (paved area) and go under the building and come out in the front lawn. I had the keys to get into them when I worked at Fulneck as some of the computer networks fibre optic cables run down there     Hi robontheroad been down there a few times myself.Years ago they used to have ghost walks down there but they had to stop them health and safety reasons.The way things are going we will all be wrapped in cotton wool.lol
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.