Pub Names & What They Mean.

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
Si

Post by Si »

BJF wrote: Going bank in the thread. I always assumed the Beulah was named from a biblical quotation "on Beulah Heights", looking down on to the promised land.The pub does have a commanding position over Cockersdale/ Troydale. I thought the Promised Land was first seen from Mount Pisgah, not Beulah Heights? Could be wrong...

ggbix

Post by ggbix »

Trojan wrote: cnosni wrote: The vast majority of what we now call West Yorkshire was under the ownership of the Duchy of Lancaster at the time of Towton.The Duke of Lancaster was King Henry VI,the opponent of Edward at Towton.(The Queen today is still the Duke of Lancaster) and son of Henry V. The Duchy of Lancaster still owns vast tracts of land in what used to be the West Riding in the Trough of Bowland. Everywhere east of the Hodder and north of the Ribble in that area, Slaidburn, Gisburn, Waddington, Whitewell, were all in the West Riding until the boundary changes in 1974. If you look at an old map Clitheroe (Cledero) is like an isthmus sticking into Yorkshire. I used to have a customer based at Whitewell, who did groundworks in the area, he assured me that he never had a problem getting paid from his major client the "Duke of Lancaster" - the Queen. He spoke with a thick Lancashire accent but assured me that he was born in Whitewell and thus a Yorkshireman born and bred The explosion at the Rutland Hotel was in 1981 I believe

ggbix

Post by ggbix »

Chrism wrote: drapesy wrote: Chrism wrote: Also there's the Fox and Newt on Burley Street! ????????????? This name is a modern(1980's?) invention of the 'Frog and Nightgown' ,' Rat and Ratchet' etc.school of naming pubs. Some probably find it highly amusing - I prefer the traditional names personally. As has been pointed out this pub was formerly the 'Rutland Hotel' - and this name is still in stone below the roof.     This used to be my local when I lived in Leeds. I was always confused by the name change. I remember when the Rutland had a gas leak a nearly destoyed itself in a explosion. I remember the explosion at the Rutland, think it was in 1981

ggbix

Post by ggbix »

[quotenick="ggbix"] Trojan wrote: cnosni wrote: The vast majority of what we now call West Yorkshire was under the ownership of the Duchy of Lancaster at the time of Towton.The Duke of Lancaster was King Henry VI,the opponent of Edward at Towton.(The Queen today is still the Duke of Lancaster) and son of Henry V. The Duchy of Lancaster still owns vast tracts of land in what used to be the West Riding in the Trough of Bowland. Everywhere east of the Hodder and north of the Ribble in that area, Slaidburn, Gisburn, Waddington, Whitewell, were all in the West Riding until the boundary changes in 1974. If you look at an old map Clitheroe (Cledero) is like an isthmus sticking into Yorkshire. I used to have a customer based at Whitewell, who did groundworks in the area, he assured me that he never had a problem getting paid from his major client the "Duke of Lancaster" - the Queen. He spoke with a thick Lancashire accent but assured me that he was born in Whitewell and thus a Yorkshireman born and bred

ggbix

Post by ggbix »

[quotenick="ggbix"] Trojan wrote: cnosni wrote: The vast majority of what we now call West Yorkshire was under the ownership of the Duchy of Lancaster at the time of Towton.The Duke of Lancaster was King Henry VI,the opponent of Edward at Towton.(The Queen today is still the Duke of Lancaster) and son of Henry V. The Duchy of Lancaster still owns vast tracts of land in what used to be the West Riding in the Trough of Bowland. Everywhere east of the Hodder and north of the Ribble in that area, Slaidburn, Gisburn, Waddington, Whitewell, were all in the West Riding until the boundary changes in 1974. If you look at an old map Clitheroe (Cledero) is like an isthmus sticking into Yorkshire. I used to have a customer based at Whitewell, who did groundworks in the area, he assured me that he never had a problem getting paid from his major client the "Duke of Lancaster" - the Queen. He spoke with a thick Lancashire accent but assured me that he was born in Whitewell and thus a Yorkshireman born and bred

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

The explosion at the Rutland was indeed a very serious and dramatic affair which I remember well - I believe that the cause was gas, but may be wrong.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

ggbix wrote: Chrism wrote: drapesy wrote: Chrism wrote: Also there's the Fox and Newt on Burley Street! ????????????? This name is a modern(1980's?) invention of the 'Frog and Nightgown' ,' Rat and Ratchet' etc.school of naming pubs. Some probably find it highly amusing - I prefer the traditional names personally. As has been pointed out this pub was formerly the 'Rutland Hotel' - and this name is still in stone below the roof.     This used to be my local when I lived in Leeds. I was always confused by the name change. I remember when the Rutland had a gas leak a nearly destoyed itself in a explosion. I remember the explosion at the Rutland, think it was in 1981 Looking at this it was in April 1978http://tinyurl.com/oc7mgts

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

From The Times April 13th 1978
Attachments
Rutland Hotel.jpeg
Rutland Hotel.jpeg (123.22 KiB) Viewed 27710 times

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Can someone tell me if at one time the Rutland was named The Highlander/Highland Laddie or if I am thinking of a different pub altogether. I certainly remember that we used The Highlander occasionally and seem to remember it had been under a different name not long before we started going in it. Just out of interest sake.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Different pubs, Rutland [Now the Fox and Newt] was on Burley Rd on the left hand side heading out from the city just, past Marlborough tower flats.Highlander further along but behind the Telephone exchange Building one street back.
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.