Pub Names & What They Mean.

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
suze

Post by suze »

thank you so much drapesy. This info makes me feel a bit strange. I was adopted at the age of one month and my mother lived at no 16. The pictures are great - now I can see where she lived. Now that lots of years have gone by I thought I would like her to know that everything had been fine for me but I'm aware she might well have died by now. I don't know where to go from here but you've added more pieces to the jigsaw. Do you know if these houses were corporation at that time?I live in Cornwall now, so not just a jaunt up the road!Thanks again Suze

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

suze wrote: thank you so much drapesy. This info makes me feel a bit strange. I was adopted at the age of one month and my mother lived at no 16. The pictures are great - now I can see where she lived. Now that lots of years have gone by I thought I would like her to know that everything had been fine for me but I'm aware she might well have died by now. I don't know where to go from here but you've added more pieces to the jigsaw. Do you know if these houses were corporation at that time?I live in Cornwall now, so not just a jaunt up the road!Thanks again Suze Glad to help Suze - its really fun doing bits of detective work like this. I honestly don't know if the houses belonged to the corporation - but I would not be surprised, and it would probably be another reason why they were photographed prior to demolition.Here's a link to the picture on Leodis;http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... AY=FULLYou can buy copies of photos on Leodis - its quite expensive but presumably would be of much better quality than the computer images.I drive past the site almost everyday - I'll try to get a picture of it as it is now if I get chance.When you say your Mother - I assume you mean 'Birth Mother' rather than your adopted Mother? So presumably you lived in this house when you were a baby?!Wow..    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

suze

Post by suze »

hi again drapesyyes you're right, my birth mother. So I suppose I did live in the house for a short time. It seems a bit weird - it's amazing what information you can get from trawling around on the internet. But it's getting off your pub search. I have found another barleycorn pub - I think still on Whitehall Street but I guess it was rebuilt? Fancy you passing by there every day. Spooky!!thanks so much, Suze

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

suze wrote: hi again drapesyyes you're right, my birth mother. So I suppose I did live in the house for a short time. It seems a bit weird - it's amazing what information you can get from trawling around on the internet. But it's getting off your pub search. I have found another barleycorn pub - I think still on Whitehall Street but I guess it was rebuilt? Fancy you passing by there every day. Spooky!!thanks so much, Suze I'm not sure where this 'Barleycorn ' your referring to is - The only one in Leeds itself now, that I know of, is a couple of miles away on Armley Town Street - nohing to do with the pub we've been talking about. Like many others the pub in Armley has been locked and deserted for a while now (6 months+)
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Tasa wrote: Hey cnosni, welcome back! Not heard from you for a while. 1000 posts - congrats! yeah...but 900 of them were on the skulls thread!!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

As promised heres a couple of pics of the site of Barleycorn Street as it is today. This is an attempt to recreate the original pic - so looking up the street with the shops on Wortley Lane in the foreground. It is difficult to be precise as nothing of the original photo survives and even the main road (Wortley Lane - now an anonymous stretch of one-way street) has been resited - so this is quite approximate.
Attachments
__TFMF_fmdvrk45fsejtkfzisd5nl45_5f845642-5402-4bdb-968e-0a7897d0bceb_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_fmdvrk45fsejtkfzisd5nl45_5f845642-5402-4bdb-968e-0a7897d0bceb_0_main.jpg (183.84 KiB) Viewed 36314 times

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

And the opposite view - looking to where the Barleycorn Pub once stood on Whitehall Road
Attachments
__TFMF_fmdvrk45fsejtkfzisd5nl45_acdd7866-f578-4810-80fc-1ef98a582441_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_fmdvrk45fsejtkfzisd5nl45_acdd7866-f578-4810-80fc-1ef98a582441_0_main.jpg (138.33 KiB) Viewed 36314 times

suze

Post by suze »

Drapseyyou're an absolute star!Is this your route to work? But where's my old house gone? Still, at least the weather looks better than it did in 1965. Ha Ha.I've just had a look at your other pix - I lived in Leeds until I was nine, and my adoptive parents were Leeds area born and bred, and so many of the place names on your pix are familiar to me. I'm absolutely hooked now on trying to find out more. It's interesting stuff.Thanks again, Suze

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Yes I drive past this building 5 or 6 days a week! - My wife even dragged me in once to buy some material for cushions!!!Anyway - I've enjoyed looking into this so its my pleasure!By the by what was that 'other ' Barleycorn pub you were referring to a few posts back?    

suze

Post by suze »

Hi Drapseythink the other Barleycorn ref must have been from an old website entry - I can't even find it again now. Probably my mistake. I've enjoyed talking to you but I bet everyone else only interested in pubs is bored out of their minds! Hope you like the cushions. If I find out any more of my family tree I'll let you know. Thanks for all your help, it's been great. Suze