Pub Names & What They Mean.

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
Brandy

Post by Brandy »

isnt there a barleycorn in scholes drapesy?
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Brandy wrote: isnt there a barleycorn in scholes drapesy? Yes, on Main Street.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

graynut

Post by graynut »

Regards the naming of The Mustard Pot on Stainbeck Lane, I heard a story that when Mansfields Brewery completed the purchase and alteration of Clough House they were informed that prior to the puchase, there had been an old lady living in there called Miss Coleman and they were informed that she was related to the Colmans as in 'Reckitt & Coleman plc' who amongst other things manufacture mustard.After naming the pub in her honour they found to their consternation it was not true and that there was no connection.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

THE BARLEY CORN in Armley. I'm sure that in a book somewhere about old Leeds I've seen a picture of this pub taken c1920 and it was called something else - if I can find the book I will when I've time, but does anyone else know of this. I'm sure its the same building because it has rather unusual, and very pleasant, windows and architecture.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Ex-Loiner wrote: Do any of you remeber the brilliant pubs that used to be on Bramley Town Street Before the council decided to ruin the village by demolishing most of them?"The New Inn" - a beautiful old pub - probably one of the last in Leeds to have a "Gentleman Only Bar".The original "Cardigan Arm's" & many more in Lower Town Street, call destroyed in the name of progress!! Yes , it's a disgrace how the Council was allowed to demolish every stone built cottage or building in Bramley and replace them with all the awful housing thats there now. Not to mention Bramley Shopping Centre Uhh!
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Perhaps I can stretch Drapeseys knowledge! What do you know about a pub in Fulneck ,Pudsey called the Fulneck Arms? I heard that it was demolished to make way for the science block connected to Fulneck School?
ex-Armley lad

Si

Post by Si »

stutterdog wrote: Perhaps I can stretch Drapeseys knowledge! What do you know about a pub in Fulneck ,Pudsey called the Fulneck Arms? I heard that it was demolished to make way for the science block connected to Fulneck School? I've never heard of a pub in Fulneck, but I stand to be corrected. I thought the Moravians were teetotal, and so would not have a pub on the site. A bit like Saltaire?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

BLAKEY wrote: THE BARLEY CORN in Armley. I'm sure that in a book somewhere about old Leeds I've seen a picture of this pub taken c1920 and it was called something else - if I can find the book I will when I've time, but does anyone else know of this. I'm sure its the same building because it has rather unusual, and very pleasant, windows and architecture.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

BLAKEY wrote: THE BARLEY CORN in Armley. I'm sure that in a book somewhere about old Leeds I've seen a picture of this pub taken c1920 and it was called something else - if I can find the book I will when I've time, but does anyone else know of this. I'm sure its the same building because it has rather unusual, and very pleasant, windows and architecture. Undated. Image shows the Barleycorn Inn situated in Town Street. The sign above the entrance says in large lettering 'Turner's Barleycorn Inn' and the Landlord and his wife, Benjamin and Hannah Turner, can be seen standing in front. It is believed the photograph dates from after 1857 but is before 1861. In 1857 Benjamin Turner was still running the Union Cross according to a directory of that year, and so was not Landlord of the Barleycorn until later. He died in 1861 but his wife, Hannah, continued to run the Barleycorn Inn after his death. She is listed in the 1861 'Post Office Directory of the West Riding of Yorkshire' as the landlady of the Barleycorn Inn, and remained as such for many years. The image shows how the original building looked before it was considerably altered and extended, bringing it much closer to the road. Two images on the Leodis website dating from 1960 and 1981 show the twin roof turret additions. The roof line of the adjoining property remains the same today. a sign to the right has the name of .....(?) Stephenson, Importer and Blender(?) of foreign wines and spirits. It advertises Bass's Ales, Garners's Stout and sparkling home-brewed ales. A sign to the left of the left hand window on the upper storey offers 'stabling'. Mrs Turner wears a print, long-skirted dress with puffed sleeves and a white, starched apron. Mr. Turner wears a dark suit with waistcoat and watchchain and sports a flat cap.
Attachments
__TFMF_u1bahn555bstqn45zvedio45_df13983b-afe8-4902-b9a8-c30de867d744_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_u1bahn555bstqn45zvedio45_df13983b-afe8-4902-b9a8-c30de867d744_0_main.jpg (105.07 KiB) Viewed 33124 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Si wrote: stutterdog wrote: Perhaps I can stretch Drapeseys knowledge! What do you know about a pub in Fulneck ,Pudsey called the Fulneck Arms? I heard that it was demolished to make way for the science block connected to Fulneck School? I've never heard of a pub in Fulneck, but I stand to be corrected. I thought the Moravians were teetotal, and so would not have a pub on the site. A bit like Saltaire? I know what you mean si but there was a pub in Fulneck. It was joined to what was the tuck shop now the restaurant.The old science block was built on the site it is now the Robinson Building where they teach art and maths cookery and geography.