Pub Names & What They Mean.

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
Ex-Loiner

Post by Ex-Loiner »

The "Oddfellows" in Yeadon was always know by the locals as "The Rag", a term originating from the Rag Trade.In the late 1980's & early 1990's is was tenanted by a Rick Atkinson (who was also tenant of the Crown Hotel on Ivegate, Yeadon) & managed by his brother - I on occasions did the "Quiz Night" for them.I remember the pub well before my move to the coast. "The Rag" was a brilliant "locals" pub before a certain pub chain took it on & changed the name - I believe for a while it was called "The Slug & Lettuce" before taking its current name.

Ex-Loiner

Post by Ex-Loiner »

Do any of you remeber the brilliant pubs that used to be on Bramley Town Street Before the council decided to ruin the village by demolishing most of them?"The New Inn" - a beautiful old pub - probably one of the last in Leeds to have a "Gentleman Only Bar".The original "Cardigan Arm's" & many more in Lower Town Street, call destroyed in the name of progress!!

spudoil

Post by spudoil »

The Cavalier, Leeds 9The pub by Mount StMary's High School in the 'Bank area of Leeds.Once went through a local history book on this area called 'Ham Shank' by the Thorsby society. The Cavalier was so called because the Roylists camped on that hill before the attack on Leeds during the civil war. Any more info on that?
spudoil

Shazza

Post by Shazza »

I know its not Leeds, but does anybody know how the pub in Normanton got the name "Hark to Mopsy"?

Shazza

Post by Shazza »

How did the Beulah in Leeds 12 get its name?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Sorry if its already been covered but can anyone remember the name of the pub on Sweet Street which was opposite and behind Halfords?Stood empty for years and was struggling to remember the name.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Shazza wrote: I know its not Leeds, but does anybody know how the pub in Normanton got the name "Hark to Mopsy"? I think it's named after a dog. It's a long time since I was in there!
Industria Omnia Vincit

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

cnosi, I think the pub you are referring to near Halfords was The Crystal Palace. I used to spend many lunch hour in there.    

Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Shazza wrote: How did the Beulah in Leeds 12 get its name? I live not too far away from this pub in swinnow(part of the rubarb tryangle lol)and dont know where it got its name from but here is a few ideasBeulah Definition Beu·lah (byo¯?o¯'l?) nounin Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, a country of peace near the end of life's journey a feminine nameEtymology: name for Israel (Isa. 62:4) < Heb beula, marriedBeulah Speckled Face, a breed of sheep from near Beulah, Powys. The girl's name Beulah \be(u)-lah\ is pronounced BYOO-lah. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "bride". Biblical: a name symbolic of the heavenly Zion. Used to refer to Israel, and in John Bunyan's "The Pilgrim's Progress", Beulah is the promised land. First became used as a girl's name in the late 16th century. References to "Beulah land" appear in American spirituals. The name was made famous by Mae West's instruction to her maidservant: "Beulah, peel me a grape". American actress Beulah Bondi.Beulah has 5 variant forms: Beaulah, Beula, Bewlah, Bulah and Byulah.Baby names that sound like Beulah are Bella and Beyla. Beulah is a very popular female first name and an uncommon surname (source: 1990 U.S. Census). Displayed below is the baby name popularity trend for the girl's name Beulah. Click here to compare Beulah with related baby names.id opt for the sheep thing as its near to a fair few farms and farm land but i could be wrong

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

frisbee wrote: cnosi, I think the pub you are referring to near Halfords was The Crystal Palace. I used to spend many lunch hour in there.     Cheers frisbee
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]