Pub Names & What They Mean.

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

...and The Eldon on Woodhouse Lane. That one has always flummoxed me, what/who/where is an Eldon?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Chrism wrote: ...and The Eldon on Woodhouse Lane. That one has always flummoxed me, what/who/where is an Eldon? Think it was called something else before that,something to do with Woodhouse cemetery.I think its in one of the ten million pub threads,Drapesy will know off the top of his head.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

I belive the Eldon pub was originally called "The Cemetary tavern" as it led up to the dissenters cemetary which became called St Georges Fields.Yup, good old Leodis -http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 9_14361208

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

cnosni wrote: Though it was called Bridge farm it was known to the locals as Tommy Wass's.The family gave the brewery permission to retain the name when it opened as a pub. If you went to Leeds on the 36 or 55 bus from Morley,it went via Dewsbury Road, and if you were going to the Rex cinema, you would ask the conductor (who he?) for a ticket to Tommy Wass's. However the stop was not called this in the timetable -but Old Lane.
Industria Omnia Vincit

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

names like the rose and crown etc actually do have an interesting history.during the wars of the roses,or first english civil war as i prefer to call it,supporters of the lancastrians would name their hostelries the rose and crown or rose etc,usually showing the red rose,whilst us yorkists used the white rose.when the tudors finally took control,it wasn't healthy to keep the white rose signs and many were changed to the white hart,or white stag and various other white type names,just i suppose to show that we did not agree with the welsh usurpers holding the reins of power.the kings head is another example of this.as for general elliot,well he seems to have been a national hero and favorite of george lll,a great soldier and tactition,commander at the siege of gibralter,a siege that lasted three years,but he won and came home a hero,having many pubs named after him about 20 years before nelson and wellington got their similar honours.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

munki

Post by munki »

This is just the stuff, chaps! I am creating each pub as a separate thread once people have come up with decent explanations.What postcode is the Tommy Wass in? LS11? Does anyone have a picture of the Tommy Wass or the General Elliot?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

wiggy wrote: the lancastrians would name their hostelries the rose and crown or rose etc,usually showing the red rose,whilst us yorkists used the white rose. All true. However, I'll quibble with you on a major point. The Lancastrians tended to be those from the North of England and the Yorkists from the South. So at Towton there were thousands of Yorkshiremen killed fighting for the Lancastrian cause. Effectively as you say the Wars of the Roses was a civil war, but fought between the Northern magnates against those from the South.
Industria Omnia Vincit

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

One notable pub in Leeds for very many years was the Marquis of Granby.This pub has survived being demolished and rebuilt in the 1890's and again during the 1930's Headrow construction project, which saw much of the north side buildings on Upper Headrow demolished, and the whole lot extended down to Eastgate, effectively bypassing Lady Lane, including the Marquis.So it survived two complete rebuilds and relocations, several wars and sadly in our modern age we can't seem to find a space for it in its original role.There are many pubs around by this name, here is the reason,http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... FULL...and of the man himselfhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Manners%2C_Marquess_of_Granby

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Trojan wrote: wiggy wrote: the lancastrians would name their hostelries the rose and crown or rose etc,usually showing the red rose,whilst us yorkists used the white rose. All true. However, I'll quibble with you on a major point. The Lancastrians tended to be those from the North of England and the Yorkists from the South. So at Towton there were thousands of Yorkshiremen killed fighting for the Lancastrian cause. Effectively as you say the Wars of the Roses was a civil war, but fought between the Northern magnates against those from the South. Yes' you're quite right- its a very common misconception that the 'War of the Roses' was between Lancashire and Yorkshire - it wasn't. As you say it was a civil war between supporters of the House of Lancaster and the House of York. Wakefield and Pontefract, for instance were strongholds of supporters of the House of Lancaster.    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Trojan wrote: wiggy wrote: the lancastrians would name their hostelries the rose and crown or rose etc,usually showing the red rose,whilst us yorkists used the white rose. All true. However, I'll quibble with you on a major point. The Lancastrians tended to be those from the North of England and the Yorkists from the South. So at Towton there were thousands of Yorkshiremen killed fighting for the Lancastrian cause. Effectively as you say the Wars of the Roses was a civil war, but fought between the Northern magnates against those from the South. yes this is very true,however the good king richard the third was enthroned in york at the time .as the countries capital at the time due to the king moving his court there,he must of thought the area safe,thus! i feel sure there were many yorkists from our area.the people fighting each other at towton were the children of the men that had stood shoulder to shoulder at crecy and agincourt...all wars are sad...but civil wars especially so.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?