The Daisy Inn Public House Bramley.

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
anon The mouse

Post by anon The mouse »

Can anyone tell me anything about this public house? I dont think it has been covered yet, appologies if I am wrong. Daisy... name for a cow perhaps? awaiting enlightenment.Anon the mouse.
[ub ]Anon THE mouse [ub]

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi anon the mouse nice to have you on S/L I dont know anything about this pub but i bet someone on this site will.Its always nice to have someone new on the site i look forward to your imput.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

anon The mouse

Post by anon The mouse »

Thanks Tilly, Hope they will am curious to know of it. Thans for your comments also on garden gate thread. I left you some questions there. Anon the mouse.
[ub ]Anon THE mouse [ub]

Compresc

Post by Compresc »

Hi guy's,can not find much on the origins of the name, but I was born directly behind the Daisy. I lived in the Ashbys, family name was Emmerson.

anon The mouse

Post by anon The mouse »

Hi Compr...I just read your message. While reading the thought of: 1) Daisy chains jumped into my head and also something else I read of not so long ago which was 2) daisy wheels. It seems these were flower carvings found carved into the timbers of old buildings. (They were not aesthetic it seems :-as sometimes, I read, they were carved into the end of the beam which once slotted into place would then not be viewed till the building was dismantled.) They were found near windows and doors as a protection- talismatic thing from witches, I think 1600s perhaps but read of examples of the habit, ritual, whatever of drawing daisy wheels on the hearth in chalk persisting into the 1800s. I hadn't thought off this when I posted the question here abt the Daisy Inn,but could it be that 'Daisy' had a folklore of its own? and Daisy Inn is flower daisy, not cow daisy, or something other?Comp.. I had links with canada but flew the other way across the atlantic. so to speak.Anon the mouse.
[ub ]Anon THE mouse [ub]

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

The Daisy has been mentioned on SL in the past - I think there's even a picture somewhere.I know there are streets near the pub called 'Daisyfield' - I would think that therefore there was a field before the houses were built, called Daisyfield, and the pub takes its name from that.    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Compresc

Post by Compresc »

There was a field behind the Daisy which is where Bramley built their new ground. They used to keep horses in it in the early 50s. I used to play there and if memory serves me right it was full of daisy's. But directly behind the pub where the Ashby's and also the small place where the milkman used to pickup the milk for delivery.

anon The mouse

Post by anon The mouse »

H Drapsey, I did search but didnt find, so decided to post. It seems likely that Daisy Inn could have taken its name from the already existing 'field name' I have a book of placenames origins and meanings which covers 'field names' but 'Daisy' as a field name isn't covered.The field might be named afer its size eg 'mouse hole' or wren's nest' would mean a small field or its shape an eg of that might be 'the oval' or the livestock kept in it eg, 'gooseleaze', or 'horse croft' Though it does say in my book that field names can be found alluding to wild plants eg. poppies. So perhaps 'Daisy' field was possible and the Inn fits this pattern. But it also seems from what Compresc says that The milkman collected and distributed milk from there also. Either way, I guess one could say it fits the type of Pub naming which is commemorative of nature rather than of Monarch or war or industry etc.Anon The mouse.
[ub ]Anon THE mouse [ub]

Seacrofter

Post by Seacrofter »

When I lived and worked in Bramley I used to drink in The Daisy. Never really wondered about its name but the row of cottages attached to the pub are named Daisy Terrace. Now, did the Pub come first or the cottages I wonder?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Seacrofter wrote: When I lived and worked in Bramley I used to drink in The Daisy. Never really wondered about its name but the row of cottages attached to the pub are named Daisy Terrace. Now, did the Pub come first or the cottages I wonder? Pub, I would think
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.