The Garden Gate Pub

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Hats Off wrote: I used to go in the Middleton Social club now and again back in the mid 1980's and even then women were not allowed in the games room, any that tried to enter were shouted down in no uncertain terms and they never attempted to go in again. Not so for me! I was a member of the Leeds Rugby League Supporters' Club at Headingley in the early 1980s and they tried to stop me from playing snooker in the games room because "women weren't allowed". I stood my ground and won! I think they expected me to rip through the baize with the cue, but I was a regular player of snooker, billiards and pool at the Guildford so I could demonstrate that I was competent. Not sure if it was groundbreaking enough to change their rules, but at least I won my personal battle

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Tasa wrote: but I was a regular player of snooker, billiards and pool at the Guildford so I could demonstrate that I was competent. Aye the good old days, playing pool when you've had a few pints in the Guildford. You knew it was time to move on when the cue ball flew off in the opposite direction to what you hit it     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Stabbing at The Garden Gate 20th July 1875Garden Gate for sale 15th March 1881. I would like to know how much it sold for. In the above advertisement it mentions a "loan office" it seems you could get a loan on a Monday night at the Garden Gate        

anon The mouse

Post by anon The mouse »

Tasa and Hats off, I am told that the Sex Discrimination Act did not cover clubs/ social clubs and this might account for the varied responses as to whether to welcome women in and also if allowed in -how they then might be accepted.Uncle Mick, Those are very interesting articles, thankyou for taking the trouble to post them. They date from before my grandparents time but they do give you a flavour of what went on in the area. I'm not of an era myself to remember 'Hunslet-that-was' and only vaguely know where it (as a place) is, having moved away from leeds fairly young. But I have read and heard about Hunslet's heavy manufacturing side and I know from my parents about its densly populated ''back to back' housing that stood alongside the heavy manufacturing and it's grime. My grandfather, Herbert Cook was a diabetic and he died during WW11 (1942) but not from conflict. He used to play piano in many of Hunslet's pubs. (talking 1930s /early 40s) Diabetes was not understood so well in those days. The link with insulin had only just been made a decade or so before and while they knew of diabetes since Roman times it wasnt till the discovery of the role of insulin (in late 1920s?) that things really got better for Diabetics. (Well, what I mean is diabetes stopped being a death sentence -thats my impression.) The Piano Man often enjoyed a special status within a pub, so I'm told which resulted in him being bought many free drinks. Unfortunately, This would not have been so benefitial to my grandad and may have even contributed to his untimely death (age 40.) But The Garden Gate is a special 'Hunslet Pub' because its where he met my Gran. I dont know if he ever played piano in this pub, but I wouldnt be suprised if he did:DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A PIANO IN THERE TODAY? It sounds like quite a good sized establishment and I never knew that loans were made available via pubs once upon a time. I do know via mum that it was very common for people to buy things 'On Tick' -even at the local co-op shop I believe. The more I look into it the more I get the impression that Hunslet was a hive of industry and that the workers of this 'hive' were poor, rough but very tight knit and probably a very proud race of people. Thanks again for the info uncle Mick.Anon The mouse.
[ub ]Anon THE mouse [ub]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

anon the mouse. Lots of interesting facts/tales about Hunslet http://www.hunslet.org/

anon The mouse

Post by anon The mouse »

Uncle M: Thanks for the tip off... will check it out Anon.
[ub ]Anon THE mouse [ub]