The Garden Gate Pub

Ale & Local History combined. Secret Leeds Heaven!
anon The mouse

Post by anon The mouse »

Can anyone tell me anything about the Garden Gate Pub. I think it is possibly in Hunslet. I believe it is still open and still has its old interior. My grandparents met there in the early 1900s. I think there were sporting activities nearby. Im curious also to know how come my gran could have met my grandad there as I believe (perhaps wrongly) that women were not allowed in pubs years ago. ( We are probably talking 1920-1930) I hope the pub is surviving as I one day would like to visit it. Also why call a pub the 'Garden Gate?' -and why not call it instead 'The factory Gate?' or 'The Football Ground Gate?' What Garden does the gate belong to? Private (house) or public gardens (ie recreation grounds) as they had years ago. These are silly questions really but just am curious to know what other people make of it. Anon,
[ub ]Anon THE mouse [ub]

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

It is indeed still open in Hunslet or was last time I was in (autumn 2012). It is owned and run be Leeds Brewery http://www.gardengateleeds.co.uk/And yes the interior is little changed as it is still a "corridor pub". I'm sure if you use SL's search you will find it mentioned in several threads and may even have its own existing one.It's a fair distance from South Leeds Stadium (Hunslet Hawks RL) which is the nearest sports ground of any note and Hunslet's formweer home of Parkside would only be marginally closer. There are of course a number of junior football teams and pub teams that use sports field closer. There were/are a number of bowling greens not too far away too.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Si

Post by Si »

As Tyke Bhoy says, there are many mentions on SecretLeeds of this pub, but to be getting on with, here is a 1971 pic of said boozer from Leodis.Click on the red X to view.This caption is from another Leodis photo."Image shows the elaborate shop front style facade of the Grade II listed Garden Gate public house in Waterloo Road, located between Whitfield Street and Walton Street. The building, completed in 1902, was constructed in brick and terracotta with decorative soft bronze glazed tiles. Records show that the first mention of a public house on the site of the present day Garden Gate was in 1833. (The Victorian Society - West Yorkshire Group - 1985 publication) The pub was named the Garden Gate in 1849, thought to be due to its location near the market gardens. The 1902 building replaced it and internally it incorporates many features of the Art Nouveau period , including motifs, tiles and the etched glasswork in the main bar. The Garden Gate is believed to have been designed by Thomas Winn and much of the original furniture was supplied by John Claughton, cabinet maker & undertaker of 260 Dewsbury Road, and who also had a workshop in Leak Yard, Jack Lane. The Garden Gate had always been privately owned until it was acquired by Ind Coope in 1922. It became a Tetley's pub in the 1960s and fortunately was saved from demolition in the 1970s when the surrounding area was cleared. It was saved by a public campaign and Hunslet underwent redevelopment around it. In 1982, after a restoration project the Garden Gate was designated a 'Heritage Inn' and is one of approximately 20 Tetley pubs out of over 1,000 to be acknowledged in this way."
Attachments
__TFMF_02mkdlvxxk4uzbn0bnobib55_397b0761-917d-4b14-8bde-318afd42b404_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_02mkdlvxxk4uzbn0bnobib55_397b0761-917d-4b14-8bde-318afd42b404_0_main.jpg (135.79 KiB) Viewed 23905 times

anon The mouse

Post by anon The mouse »

Tyke Bhoy, THANKS! Btw, What's a corridor Pub? Also Do you think there may have been more or other stadiums closer to this pub in the past? Or is it that people in the past walked much more and much further; so the distance then would seem little or normal to them. My elderly aunt told me people walked miles in those days, across leeds if necessary, poor families didn't have money for trams.THANKS ALSO SI, But why was a pub built in 1833 only named in 1849? 16 yrs later.(What was it's previous name?) So did the market gardens come after the building of the pub? Or was there a new fashion that made the name garden gate more acceptable or fashionable? Or was it a new landlord who took over and gave a new name to it -in order to start anew -so to speak? When was the 'art nouveau period?' and does it fit in timewise with the building of the pub? Or did it come before so that some features of the old pub were taken out, retained and reinstalled. I also note with interest the undertaker/ cabinate maker and how -just as today -people then, often had more than one role. Who or what is Ind coope? Is it Ind. for industry? or just some old fashioned personal name? Let me say here too that I am very very grateful to all the people everywhere who saved THE GARDEN GATE PUBLIC HOUSE in Leeds, and I really must 'explore' the place asap given the personal link with my grandparents. It will be lovely to do this knowing that it was the place where they met. Without this place I may never have been born -ha!'Anon' The mouse.
[ub ]Anon THE mouse [ub]

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

anon The mouse wrote: Who or what is Ind coope? Is it Ind. for industry? or just some old fashioned personal name? I found this on another forum:"The origins of Ind Coope go back to 1709 when brewing started behind The Star Inn in Romford. In 1799 this pub was taken over by Edward Ind and a larger brewery built. C.E.Coope joined the firm in 1845 and in 1856 a much large brewery was opened in Burton-upon-Trent. The firm was renamed Ind Coope in 1886. In 1934 it merged with Samuel Allsopp. It merged once more with Ansells and Tetley Walker in 1961 to form Allied. "So, it's just the combination of the surnames of the partners. I didn't know that before, so I've learned something myself!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

anon The mouse wrote: Tyke Bhoy, THANKS! Btw, What's a corridor Pub? Also Do you think there may have been more or other stadiums closer to this pub in the past? Or is it that people in the past walked much more and much further; so the distance then would seem little or normal to them. My elderly aunt told me people walked miles in those days, across leeds if necessary, poor families didn't have money for trams.THANKS ALSO SI, But why was a pub built in 1833 only named in 1849? 16 yrs later.(What was it's previous name?) So did the market gardens come after the building of the pub? Or was there a new fashion that made the name garden gate more acceptable or fashionable? Or was it a new landlord who took over and gave a new name to it -in order to start anew -so to speak? When was the 'art nouveau period?' and does it fit in timewise with the building of the pub? Or did it come before so that some features of the old pub were taken out, retained and reinstalled. I also note with interest the undertaker/ cabinate maker and how -just as today -people then, often had more than one role. Who or what is Ind coope? Is it Ind. for industry? or just some old fashioned personal name? Let me say here too that I am very very grateful to all the people everywhere who saved THE GARDEN GATE PUBLIC HOUSE in Leeds, and I really must 'explore' the place asap given the personal link with my grandparents. It will be lovely to do this knowing that it was the place where they met. Without this place I may never have been born -ha!'Anon' The mouse. My advice is to go see it, virtually unaltered since 1903. A lot of Beerhouses sprang up after the 1930 Beerhouse act & some did not have a name.A corridor pub is a corridor running down the centre of the pub with rooms a either side.Ind Coope was a brewery in Burton that owned pubs.1850 map of the Garden Gate. Looks like there could be space for gardens around it ?????????More photos etc http://www.heritagepubs.org.uk/pubs/nat ... ?PubID=220 showing the corridor etc

anon The mouse

Post by anon The mouse »

THANKS! tasa and uncle mick for all the info. Its useful to me. I definately shall go to see it asap!! it looks amazing. I cant see it on the map you posted Uncle mick (is it there? Cant find the streets mentioned in earlier post either, or am I just not looking in the right place. the map wont scroll up down.) but I have seen the photos of the interior from that site you mention. Everythng was made to such high standards and the place even now looks ...so cosy! it must have been a heavenly place to chill out after a hard day down the mines, for my granddad. But I still cant think of how he could have met my gran there -if women were really not allowed in pubs back then. (-or am I mistaken?) I wonder if My gran ever worked a bar maid in her youth?Thanks again!! Anon: The mouse
[ub ]Anon THE mouse [ub]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

. I cant see it on the map you posted Uncle mick (is it there? Cant find the streets mentioned in earlier post either, or am I just not looking in the right place. the map wont scroll up down.)Anon: The mouse The Garden Gate is next to the N in the middle of the mapEdit- Circa 1875 maphttp://tinyurl.com/d9a9jtm the Garden Gate is centre screen marked PH & you can scroll up down    

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Wasn't the pub surrounded by allotments when it was first built, hence the name? I'm sure I remember reading that on another thread, but I could be wrong.As has been said, it's a great pub, well worth a visit. Try The Grove in Holbeck as well for another "corridor pub" experience, with an even better range of beers.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Si

Post by Si »

anon The mouse wrote: When was the 'art nouveau period?' and does it fit in timewise with the building of the pub? Or did it come before so that some features of the old pub were taken out, retained and reinstalled. Art Nouveau was an artistic style which developed in France at the end of the 19th century, and so fits in with the date 1902.The style was applied to architecture, sculpture, ceramics, graphics, typography - almost anything. It is recognised by a highly stylistic rendering of organic forms. Some Paris metro stations are very good examples, as is the poster and graphic work of Alphonse Mucha.    
Attachments
__TFMF_zkbwfa55efhw5b45gnnuuz45_df6bbe17-ae1f-42b6-88a3-ec425f068d03_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zkbwfa55efhw5b45gnnuuz45_df6bbe17-ae1f-42b6-88a3-ec425f068d03_0_main.jpg (552.11 KiB) Viewed 23905 times