Features - Tunnels Under City Station

The Darker Arches
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: I wonder if there is a book about the sewerage system of Leeds? Indeed there is http://www.sewerhistory.org/articles/wh ... s_1997.pdf
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Leodian wrote: I wonder if there is a book about the sewerage system of Leeds? Indeed there is http://www.sewerhistory.org/articles/wh ... s_1997.pdf Thanks for that Phill.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Phill_dvsn wrote: the last few weeks I've been looking into the history of the London Underground. It's a fascinating piece of engineering. Phill - just in case your not aware ( it's my guess you are lol ) if you go to the excellent site "Lost railways of West Yorkshire" and scroll to the bottom of the home page there's lots of links to other railway stuff thats not local. one of the sites deals with the London underground with some superb photos and info on long closed stations.Apologies if your already aware of this but its well worth a look.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Thanks Big N. I've seen most of the links on Daves Lost rails site, but not the underground stuff. I'll check it out. Cheers!
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Lt

Post by Lt »

This kind of thing amazes me

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Being in the centre of Leeds today (Jan 28 2013) I thought I would look at where the River Aire starts flowing under the station and at the Dark Arches where the river comes out. In view of the thawed/thawing snow (particularly in the river's catchment area) I had expected there would be masses of water flowing. Though there was a greater flow than normal there was however not greatly much more. Perhaps the run-off into the river has not yet hit a peak. Even the amount of debris where the river starts to run under the station seemed little (if any) more than usual (as seen in the photo that I took today).
Attachments
__TFMF_k0ifml55d3e3xcauod32dizv_6c93a202-9062-46ba-a7c5-3e7992463805_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_k0ifml55d3e3xcauod32dizv_6c93a202-9062-46ba-a7c5-3e7992463805_0_main.jpg (113.58 KiB) Viewed 18949 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Does anyone know what the work is that is going on at the foot/road bridge over the River Aire in the Dark Arches? I went to the Dark Arches today (January 29 2014) and found that pedestrian access on both sides of the bridge was closed and traffic stopped from crossing by posts (pedestrians had to use the road). The upriver side of the footway was screened off, so I could not see what was going on. I took this photo showing some boats moored on the down river side and I assume they are connected with what is being done.
Attachments
004R.jpg
004R.jpg (112.26 KiB) Viewed 18949 times

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

I believe it the start of the work to build Leeds Station Southern Entrance. Guess there'll be piling and such to do in the river to build the bridge on.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Squatch_11 wrote: I believe it the start of the work to build Leeds Station Southern Entrance. Guess there'll be piling and such to do in the river to build the bridge on. Cheers Squatch_11. I had not thought of that, which does seem a likely possibility.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo (which I took today, April 30 2014) shows a scene where work is going on at the outflow of the River Aire from the Dark Arches.
Attachments
001R.jpg
001R.jpg (112.89 KiB) Viewed 18952 times