Competition - Gaslamps

Leeds by gaslight. Let's make a record of them all, before they go.
IMOR

Post by IMOR »

Does anyone know if the lamp to the side of the old Pack Horse pub is still there? I kast saw it about fifteen years back.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

IMOR wrote: Does anyone know if the lamp to the side of the old Pack Horse pub is still there? I kast saw it about fifteen years back. erm.. try page 1 of this thread!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Ok, the gaslamps i remembered in Churwell have been taken away (boooo!) but here are 2 from New farnley unfortunately not working and without their tops. There was another one painted in green but there was a young lady sunbathing right behind it at the time and i didn't want to get arrested while taking a picture! ;-)These are on the street called "Playground", incidentally a great name for a street.(I Hope the pictures work!)
Attachments
__TFMF_isitagrs4kofhdf0zahiqceb_28abaa60-4a6b-4bf0-a49f-399d212806f7_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_isitagrs4kofhdf0zahiqceb_28abaa60-4a6b-4bf0-a49f-399d212806f7_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (29.53 KiB) Viewed 6110 times

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Next one:
Attachments
__TFMF_isitagrs4kofhdf0zahiqceb_8767d9bf-883c-431f-ac2b-2d0e15ed3118_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_isitagrs4kofhdf0zahiqceb_8767d9bf-883c-431f-ac2b-2d0e15ed3118_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (36.9 KiB) Viewed 6110 times

jf

Post by jf »

drapesy wrote: I have seen this building on Lambert's yard - tiered like many in York are - and supposed to be the oldest building in Leeds. I tried to get a photo of it on tuesday, but as you say its gated off - as is bay horse yard The Civic Trust ran a lecture tours of the history of Briggate on Sunday and we were given access to Lambert's Yard. It's very run down, but you can see this building and several others of a similar age. It's not the only surviving timber framed building in the centre, there is one other which may surprise you (I'll not spoil the secret - you'll have to take the tour). There's a few other suprises on the tour too.I think the same tour is being run over the next couple of weeks too, meeting at 2pm on Leeds Bridge. It's £3 well spent.

munki

Post by munki »

Dr. Kevin Grady's walks are being run for the next THREE weeks, on Sunday 10th, 17th & 21st.The tours start at 1400 on Leeds Bridge, & last about an hour. They cost £3, and are free to under 16s.I forgot to go this week! Were there a lot of people there?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

jf

Post by jf »

There were about three or four groups this week, each with a separate guide, about 8 or 10 in each group at a guess. You did get a few strange glances from people going about their normal shopping routine or sat drinking in some of the yard pubs, I suppose guided tours are more something you would expect in York rather than Leeds! We do have the history though, much of which is in a fairly sad state around Briggate.

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

The gas lamp on Little King Street "WAS" working when Quebec House was converted to the hotel it is now, it was taken down to be refurb'd but someone nicked the innards Not while i was at work i might add as i was on security!!
Love a Landrover

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Is there not a gas lamp pole near the entrance to Manston Park on Austhorp Road in Xgates???
Love a Landrover

Chris W

Post by Chris W »

FarnleyBloke wrote: Ok, the gaslamps i remembered in Churwell have been taken away (boooo!) but here are 2 from New farnley unfortunately not working and without their tops. There was another one painted in green but there was a young lady sunbathing right behind it at the time and i didn't want to get arrested while taking a picture! ;-)These are on the street called "Playground", incidentally a great name for a street.(I Hope the pictures work!) I'm sure these lamps had tops on them not too long ago! There used to be a gas lamp at the top of Forge Row aswell, but i'm not sure if it is still standing?
Farnley born & bred