Competition - Gaslamps

Leeds by gaslight. Let's make a record of them all, before they go.
User avatar
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5710
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Postby Leodian » Fri 30 May, 2014 9:04 pm

I posted two photos on February 26 2014 of what might have been an old gas lamp post at the car park off Street Lane at the old casino at Moortown Corner. With work having started at the site, which is planned to be converted into various premises, I went today (May 30 2014) to see if I could take any good photos but metal fencing around the area made it hard to take photos (thanks to some workmen for letting me go behind the fencing to very quickly take some photos). The growth around the post has been cleared so I took this photo which is a bit clearer now but I still cannot decide if it was a gas or electric lamp post, but I now think that it is more likely it was electric (unless of course it simply had such as a name sign hanging from it).

I still wonder if anyone recalls what the post was? I've tried searching but have not found anything.    
Attachments
007R.jpg
007R.jpg (88.4 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.
polo
PostsCOLON 302
JoinedCOLON Mon 20 Feb, 2012 11:32 am

Postby polo » Sat 31 May, 2014 8:27 am

ive just searched through the last 8 pages and im not sure these have been snapped could someone pls confirm if these 2 are original gas lamps and also not already mentioned many thanks
http://goo.gl/maps/mzbzq
polo
PostsCOLON 302
JoinedCOLON Mon 20 Feb, 2012 11:32 am

Postby polo » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 1:08 pm

3 days and no response ? is it just me or is this site being pipped by the FB version
User avatar
Croggy1
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 176
JoinedCOLON Fri 28 Dec, 2012 6:46 pm

Postby Croggy1 » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 2:55 pm

I don't know about original gas lamps, I'm afraid, but FB does seem to be trying to take over the online world in general, doesn't it.

Johnny39
PostsCOLON 894
JoinedCOLON Mon 11 Jun, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby Johnny39 » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 5:09 pm

Leodian wrote:
I posted two photos on February 26 2014 of what might have been an old gas lamp post at the car park off Street Lane at the old casino at Moortown Corner. With work having started at the site, which is planned to be converted into various premises, I went today (May 30 2014) to see if I could take any good photos but metal fencing around the area made it hard to take photos (thanks to some workmen for letting me go behind the fencing to very quickly take some photos). The growth around the post has been cleared so I took this photo which is a bit clearer now but I still cannot decide if it was a gas or electric lamp post, but I now think that it is more likely it was electric (unless of course it simply had such as a name sign hanging from it).

I still wonder if anyone recalls what the post was? I've tried searching but have not found anything.    


Leo, I've been looking at the Leodis collection of pictures and at one period, just before the war, it would appear that there were floodlights on posts on the Street Lane side of the Corner House. I'm not saying that this is what your picture is of but there is a slight possibility. I would be interested in knowing what you think.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?
Cardiarms
PostsCOLON 2986
JoinedCOLON Tue 21 Oct, 2008 8:30 am

Postby Cardiarms » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 8:07 pm

Croggy1 wrote:
I don't know about original gas lamps, I'm afraid, but FB does seem to be trying to take over the online world in general, doesn't it.

Problem with FB is that you can't search it and good stuff can quickly get lost.
User avatar
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5710
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Postby Leodian » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 9:53 pm

Johnny39 wrote:
Leodian wrote:
I posted two photos on February 26 2014 of what might have been an old gas lamp post at the car park off Street Lane at the old casino at Moortown Corner. With work having started at the site, which is planned to be converted into various premises, I went today (May 30 2014) to see if I could take any good photos but metal fencing around the area made it hard to take photos (thanks to some workmen for letting me go behind the fencing to very quickly take some photos). The growth around the post has been cleared so I took this photo which is a bit clearer now but I still cannot decide if it was a gas or electric lamp post, but I now think that it is more likely it was electric (unless of course it simply had such as a name sign hanging from it).

I still wonder if anyone recalls what the post was? I've tried searching but have not found anything.    


Leo, I've been looking at the Leodis collection of pictures and at one period, just before the war, it would appear that there were floodlights on posts on the Street Lane side of the Corner House. I'm not saying that this is what your picture is of but there is a slight possibility. I would be interested in knowing what you think.


Hi Johnny39. Regular Smiley Thanks for your help.

I've done a search of Leodis photos and have not been able to definitely find the pole. I thought I would post these links to related photos:-

This photo in Leodis (dated 21 March 1939) is a view looking along the shops fronting Street Lane from Harrogate Road and shows where the pole would be but what may be a pole in the photo does not seem to quite where the pole in question is, but it is tantalisingly close!
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002814_35854739&DISPLAY=FULL

This photo (dated 20 February 1936) shows where the pole would be but nothing seems to be there. http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002814_65734500

This photo (dated 15 September 1936) just about shows where the pole would be if it was there then. I think what looks like it could be a pole on the right edge is connected with the house. http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002814_53037661

This photo (dated 19 December 1939) shows a view from the Corner House cinema along the shop fronts on Street Lane. If the pole was there then it is however hidden by the tree. http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002814_30984133&DISPLAY=FULL

I have learnt that there used to be a Corner House cinema where the casino was, but the cinema apparently was only open from 1938 to 1940. I now think that the pole may have been an electric light pole rather than a gas pole.



    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.
LS1
PostsCOLON 2147
JoinedCOLON Mon 23 Jul, 2007 8:30 am

Postby LS1 » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 9:20 am

Unfortunately Leo I think that on the Leodis pics the lamp is just out of view.

It does look quite old though - wonder if anyone can tell by the fitting if it is leccy or gas?

Johnny39
PostsCOLON 894
JoinedCOLON Mon 11 Jun, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby Johnny39 » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 12:27 pm

I think Leo that you are going to have to be close by when they remove it to learn its purpose. I must have walked past it more than a thousand times on my way to King Lane and stood fifty yards away from it when the coffee shop was open and never even noticed it. We used to go dancing at the Corner House in the late 50's. They used to have cabaret too on Saturday nights, we saw Adam Faith there and we actually spoke to him - nice bloke, he died sometime ago. I know, who the h*** was Adam Faith I here some of you say. All the best in your endeavours Leo.    
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?
User avatar
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5710
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Postby Leodian » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 7:09 pm

Johnny39 wrote:
I think Leo that you are going to have to be close by when they remove it to learn its purpose. I must have walked past it more than a thousand times on my way to King Lane and stood fifty yards away from it when the coffee shop was open and never even noticed it. We used to go dancing at the Corner House in the late 50's. They used to have cabaret too on Saturday nights, we saw Adam Faith there and we actually spoke to him - nice bloke, he died sometime ago. I know, who the h*** was Adam Faith I here some of you say. All the best in your endeavours Leo.    


Hi Johnny39. Regular Smiley

I remember Adam Faith. I cannot however recall any of his songs (he was originally a singer aiming for the teenagers/young adults that Cliff Richard was). He became an actor and I do recall his 'Budgie' and 'Love Hurts' television shows as being very good.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2 and 0 guests