May 2007 - Thomas Blackah / Situation Leeds

Saint Mark's Church, Woodhouse.
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cnosni wrote: Bloody Helli dont know how i missed this about St Marks in Woodhouse.Not so much the exhibition in the church but actually been able to get in.I am doing my family history and part of my family used this church from the very beginning of its opening as they lived and died in Woodhouse from around 1730.I have been copying monumental inscriptions in the churchyard and always wanted to get inside to see where my great great grandmother was christened,where her grandfather ,his father and his grandfather were buried.Damn! done mine mate,(family tree) i used the mormon church.you can book in and use all the family history sites free of charge.they are brilliant,mine goes back to 1036 in normanday.also found a bucket of cousins i never knew ihad.hope this is of some use matey.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

wiggy wrote: cnosni wrote: Bloody Helli dont know how i missed this about St Marks in Woodhouse.Not so much the exhibition in the church but actually been able to get in.I am doing my family history and part of my family used this church from the very beginning of its opening as they lived and died in Woodhouse from around 1730.I have been copying monumental inscriptions in the churchyard and always wanted to get inside to see where my great great grandmother was christened,where her grandfather ,his father and his grandfather were buried.Damn! done mine mate,(family tree) i used the mormon church.you can book in and use all the family history sites free of charge.they are brilliant,mine goes back to 1036 in normanday.also found a bucket of cousins i never knew ihad.hope this is of some use matey. Oops,dont rely on IGI (Mormon church) too much,only trust their actual parish regsiter research,and then ,as i found only today at leeds central library (PR Otley),should you accept what is on the IGI at such an early time(prior to18th century).Only do so after after you have done your own research into the actual documents/transcripts.All entries on the IGI prior to the start of Parish registers (1538,later for some parishes)are to be treated as speculative,unless of course you have a heraldic descendancy from which to work,which of course is the reserve of the landed gentry(and then again they used to pay the hearlds to manipulate their lineage to their own ends).If you are a common man from common stock (like me)then the likelyhood of being able to trace your ancestry is beyond minimal.All my tree is from my own research,going through actual parish registers and transcripts,not from someone elses research submitted to the IGI and therefore not subject to speculation.My tree is on going (6 years,3000 blood relatives)and though i do use the IGI,Ancestry,findmypast,Yorkshire BMD, etc i realised a good long while ago that internet research is helpful but not conclusive,infact there are that there are so many holes in the mormon site that it resembles a swiss cheese.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

greenhow302

Post by greenhow302 »

munki wrote: wsmith wrote: I found this in Saint George's Field cemetery (which might itself make a good subject for one of your features). It was nice to see the words of this forgotten poet shown again in the place of his burial, although a little more information about the poet might be nice, like, a name or something!Does anyone know anything more about this poet? Hi wsmith! I asked around a few friends at the University & was told that St. George's field contains the bones (somewhere) of one THOMAS BLACKAH, a poet who wrote in the Yorkshire Dialect & was popular in his day - forgotten now.It's a pretty unusual name, so let's see what we can find out about him. Reclaim a Leeds poet and bring him back from the forgotten past.Let's see if we can get one of his poems up here, & even a picture.Re-remember your Secrets.Unforget your City. Sorry to disappoint you but Thomas Blackah was not a Leeds poet - true he lived there towards the end of his life, but he did his writing on Greenhow Hill (near Pateley Bridge) where he came from. The Blackey/Blackah family have been traced back 300 years in that area. For more information (and more poems) please visit:http://www.sowerby-bridge.org.uk/greenh ... poems.html

Telstar

Post by Telstar »

Hi. I have visited the churchyard looking for the graves of my great grandparents, Anne Marie Adgie (d. 1932) and John James Russell (d.1925). Both were definately buried at this graveyard. So far it has been practically impossible to find their graves, due to the place being overgrown & vandalised. I wonder if it is under the area where the wall collapsed. Most graves are of the Victorian era and not of early 20th century.It would be great to see were they were actually buried.
mh

dirtyfilthy

Post by dirtyfilthy »

Hi All. I'm a long time reader of this site but recently joined. Not sure if anyones interested but I recently found myself inside st marks bell tower surveying the pigeon problem. I took a few photo's of the internal areas of the tower from the winding staircase right up to the highest room containing the clock mechanisms and original bells. Will post them if anyone shouts up.

book

Post by book »

Be great to see them. I'm sure some regulars on here who like photography will appreciate the pics.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

dirtyfilthy

Post by dirtyfilthy »

Ok- As soon as I figure out how to add photo's !!

dirtyfilthy

Post by dirtyfilthy »

Ok sorted it- not bad for a silver surfer!

MargaretC

Re: May 2007 - Thomas Blackah / Situation Leeds

Post by MargaretC »

We used to cut through the church grounds to go to school at Quarry Mount, between 1955 and 1963. So sad to have seen it detiorate like that.