Feature - Holy Trinity Church

To celebrate Treasures Revealed in Leeds, we look at the secrets of a city centre church.
munki

Post by munki »

Well, not wanting to boast or anything, but my friend looked at it & described it as 'a poor man's Secret Leeds'...Just a discussion forum about Leeds as a whole, which is a big subject, as we all know. Maybe we should all join up & start 500 individual forums telling them how great Secret Leeds is?!?!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yeah it doesn't look up to much really.. there's no theme.. It's just a bit of Hilder Ogden Coranation street tittle tattle gossip by the looks of it!!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

granville

Post by granville »

munki wrote: Do you have any memories of experiences of Holy Trinity Church? Did any of you out there ever get married to a chimpanzee trainer there? Let us know here if you did! Yes! I and some friends used to gather regularly to host a creative Christian service at holy trinity church between 94-96. We called it RPM and used to project visuals and play ambient and techno music during the gatherings. I have a flyer for one of the services still.One service I remember well was when we wrote prayers onto a luggage tag attached to helium balloon, after climbing up to the top of the tower we set them off towards the heavens.

Telstar

Post by Telstar »

Hi. A very interesting thread. How tall is this tower + spire structure - is it the tallest in Leeds, or are there other taller church structures than this one ? Is there a list of these available ?
mh

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Telstar wrote: Hi. A very interesting thread. How tall is this tower + spire structure - is it the tallest in Leeds, or are there other taller church structures than this one ? Is there a list of these available ? Not sure mate.St Georges up near the LGI is now quite tall.St Barts in Armley appears pretty huge as well
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Lyndoch

Post by Lyndoch »

munki wrote: Holy Trinity Church, a Grade 1 listed building, was built between 1721 to 1727, architect William Etty of York (who also landscaped the eastern approach to Temple Newsam house). The construction of the church was paid for by local businessmen & merchants including the great Ralph Thoresby himself, the father of Leeds historians. The church was consecrated on August 10th 1727.The picture above shows Holy Trinity with its original wooden spire, which was damaged by a ‘hurricane’ on January 7th, 1839, & later demolished. The spire was replaced by the new three stage stone spire, by architect Robert Chantrell (who also built the Parish Church).It was current restoration to this tower which allowed the Secret Leeds team access to some of the Secret Places in this grand old building.Picture from www.leodis.net. Thank you for your pictures... happy memories of the City of my birthLyndoch South Australia

Lyndoch

Post by Lyndoch »

munki wrote: The Secret Leeds Team, risking life & limb for your edification & education.Pic by Reflex Pictures.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Lyndoch wrote: munki wrote: Holy Trinity Church, a Grade 1 listed building, was built between 1721 to 1727, architect William Etty of York (who also landscaped the eastern approach to Temple Newsam house). The construction of the church was paid for by local businessmen & merchants including the great Ralph Thoresby himself, the father of Leeds historians. The church was consecrated on August 10th 1727.The picture above shows Holy Trinity with its original wooden spire, which was damaged by a ‘hurricane’ on January 7th, 1839, & later demolished. The spire was replaced by the new three stage stone spire, by architect Robert Chantrell (who also built the Parish Church).It was current restoration to this tower which allowed the Secret Leeds team access to some of the Secret Places in this grand old building.Picture from www.leodis.net. Thank you for your pictures... happy memories of the City of my birthLyndoch South Australia Some new ones on Flickr,click on the link below my message "Modern Leodis",with conributions from a number of SLers'
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Lyndoch

Post by Lyndoch »

THank you for showing the lovely pictures of Holy Trinity ChurchI was born in Leeds and remeber most of what you show.I am now living in South Australia so when I next get to see the churchWho knows?THanks

Lyndoch

Post by Lyndoch »

THank you for showing the lovely pictures of Holy Trinity ChurchI was born in Leeds and remeber most of what you show.I am now living in South Australia so when I next get to see the churchWho knows?THanks