Where was this photo taken?

How well do you know Leeds?
Leodian

Re: Where was this photo taken?

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your interesting inputs :).

Following on that provided by jim I've just looked at an 1850 map on the Old Maps UK website and noticed that Sandford Street does seem to run on what is now the line of the tunnel in this thread. Interestingly also that the map shows Little Neville Street ran all the way to Sandford Street, so I wonder if there is still a full through way (but going across the main Dark Arches tunnel roadway)?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

To the best of my knowledge there has always been a direct connecting road arch between Little Neville Street and Sandford Street, at one time used for car parking, and having side arches along the western side. One of these was used as a ladder and scaffold store for the DOME (the railway department for which I worked for 38 years). Another side arch contained the station HT electrical sub-station, which I believe is still the case. The through road itself is the next arch but one before the river going west along Little Sandford Street, and was gated at both ends to prevent public access some years ago.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I have now found some information relating to my query about the item that is seen in the photo at the start of this thread. It has to do with a 'Tick Tock Unlock' escape game. There is a report on page 12 of the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) of March 1 2017 and this is a link to the YEP online version of that report http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-8412872

I still don't know though why the item I photographed is there unless it hides a 'Tick Tock Unlock' venue. I have though passed a few times since then and have never seen a group of people waiting or going in or coming out.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.