How well do you know Leeds?
rikj

Re: Where is this stone?

Post by rikj »

Just taking a guess, Beeston?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

warringtonrhino wrote:It is south of the river.
Never go sarf of the river mate ;)
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Cockburn High School ?? I know it opened in 1902 but was named Cockburn in 1904

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Speaking as an old Cockburn pupil I don't recall seeing this over the main entrance.

WR says he sees this every day and as the former Parkside, now Cockburn school is up the cul-de-sac that is Gypsy lane I cannot see him casually passing it.

Lastly he say it is now set into the boundary wall and the last time I looked Cockburn had/has a boundary fence.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

only said I see it every week - I live in Warrington.
Of the options presented so far, Cockburn is geographically the nearest, Kirkstall Primary is alphabetically the closest.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

based on nothing more than its admissions logs starting in 1905 I'll take a punt at Cross Flatts school.

warringtonrhino

No
my last clue said that Kirkstall Primary was alphabetically the closest name offered so far.
Cross Flatts is geographically the second nearest.
My daughter lived opposite Cross flats school, and used to be a cleaner there.
My granddaughter and great granddaughter live opposite the school we are looking for.
That is one of the reasons I visit the area each week.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

The only demolished school I can think of say between Cockburn and Crossflatts or local vicinity for want of anything else, would be one I attended which was called (depending on your viewpoint) the rather gobstoppingly, Dewsbury Rd county primary junior mixed infants or Rowland Rd county primary.....etc.
Even though the above was built before 1904.

I cannot think of any other south Leeds school that meets the criterion of commisioned-built or whatever around 1904 (all others too old), now demolished or fitting some vague alphabetical/geographical ambiguity. So if this is wrong I'll leave to others to find the answer I must say though the Warrington connection is somewhat intriguing. :D

warringtonrhino

Recap of the clues
it is south of the river.
Geographically it is closer to Cockburn than Cross Flatts
Alphabetically it is nearer to Kirkstall than Brownhills
It is of course Ingram Road Primary School :lol: :lol:
The original was built in 1904.
The stones are in the SE corner of the brick boundary wall at the Rydall Place, Brown Lane East junction.

I lived in Leeds for 55 years, a keen Leeds Rhinos supporter.
In 2004 I was photographer for a Sky RL charity walk from Hull to Widnes.
On the route I met lots of RL fans, and Julie, a Warrington Wolves supporter asked me to keep in touch.
We got married 6/6/06 and the rest is history!!
Each week I visit Leeds to visit my family, Wilsons Pie Shop and do a bit of driving for a company near Ingram Road who I have known for 45 years. The driving gets me to every corner of the UK, it keeps me out of mischief.
Attachments
answer.jpg
answer.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 10274 times

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Excellent what and where WR.
Not too sure about Ingram Rd being closer to Burton Rd than Harlech Rd though (0.6 of a mile as opposed to 1.8 miles ) unless it's an "as the crow flies thing" ;)

But again a superb what and where from a fellow one time Beestoner I believe? :D