Where is the foundation stone?

How well do you know Leeds?
Leodian

Where is the foundation stone?

Post by Leodian »

It's fairly quiet lately on Secret Leeds so I thought I would post this "Where" is this. I took this photo today (Nov 2 2016) of this foundation stone in Leeds, but where is the stone located? Those who know please don't answer or be cryptic if you do. At 30 years old the wording is wearing very well (that's not cryptic).
Nov022016.jpg
Nov022016.jpg (121.92 KiB) Viewed 15203 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Re: Where is the foundation stone?

Post by buffaloskinner »

Too easy, by Tetleys old horses, there used to barges there also
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

buffaloskinner wrote:Too easy, by Tetleys old horses, there used to barges there also
Why spoil it if it was so "Too easy" for you. Did you really need to answer? :(

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Never said where it was
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

polos

Post by polos »

I know this place well near 2 bridges 1 old 1 new. I like this particular Street

polos

Post by polos »

Ps Leodian please keep doing these i like the what and wheres

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

The foundation stone looks a lot newer than the surrounding brickwork. Was this an old building refurbished in 1986?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

blackprince wrote:The foundation stone looks a lot newer than the surrounding brickwork. Was this an old building refurbished in 1986?
Hi all :).

As the brickwork does look a lot older I wonder what the building used to be used as and what it is now (I forgot to check). I feel sure that someone on Secret Leeds will know at least some of the building's history.

The foundation stone is on a building on the end of Dock Street where that joins Kendell Street (Kendall Street according to Google Maps). These are 3 photos that I took on November 2 2016. The first and second show the foundation stone's location. Note the several bricked-in windows. The second is also a view along Dock Street from Kendell Street. The third photo was taken just a little further down Dock Street from where the foundation stone is and caught my eye because of the clearly bricked-in arched doorway (?) and also the intriguing demarcation line of the brickworks on the buildings.
DockStreetKendellStreetOffToRightLeedsNov022016.jpg
DockStreetKendellStreetOffToRightLeedsNov022016.jpg (125.33 KiB) Viewed 15071 times
DockStreetLeedsFromKendellStreetNov022016.jpg
DockStreetLeedsFromKendellStreetNov022016.jpg (119.17 KiB) Viewed 15071 times
DockStreetLeedsNov022016.jpg
DockStreetLeedsNov022016.jpg (144.11 KiB) Viewed 15071 times
PS. Taken around 12:30 GMT it took me several minutes to get shots without people in view, often many people. ;)
Last edited by Leodian on Sat 05 Nov, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

1901 Insurance Plan http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex ... f056r.html
Dock Street 1901.png
Dock Street 1901.png (356.93 KiB) Viewed 15040 times

1908 Street Directory for Dock Street
Dock Street 1908.png
Dock Street 1908.png (152.69 KiB) Viewed 15040 times
The building at the end of Dock Street is 2 Kendall Street according to the above map is not listed in the 1908 Directory
Kendell Street 1908.png
Kendell Street 1908.png (209.09 KiB) Viewed 15035 times
In November 1986 they became "work space units" http://www.leedslocalindex.net/details. ... wscuttings

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks uncle mick for that excellent information :).

I find it very interesting to know the history of the use of buildings. I see from your November 1986 link it states of the foundation stone "Foundation stone of redevelopment of Georgian Warehouses in Dock street as work space units laid" as reported on November 21 1986 (the stone was laid on November 20 1986).

I felt sure that I knew what a puddler was but I did check to confirm it was "a worker who turns pig iron into wrought iron by puddling" and that puddling is "a metal making technology used to create wrought iron or steel from the pig iron produced in a blast furnace". I did not however know what a shingler was and have found it was a person that "Worked with an Iron Puddler, manipulating puddled balls of iron on an anvil", though a shingler is also a roof tiler.

I wonder if any of the prams and/or mail carts are still around from the W F Bottomley and Co premises on Dock Street?