Where is this ??

How well do you know Leeds?
uncle mick

Where is this ??

Post by uncle mick »

This has been asked on Leedsface on Facebook & so far no correct answers. Can anyone help ??
Leedsface.jpg
Leedsface.jpg (174.5 KiB) Viewed 10974 times

Brunel

Re: Where is this ??

Post by Brunel »

CHAPELTOWN ROAD LS7

Similar view today: http://tinyurl.com/j2q49fz

jim

Post by jim »

Good one uncle mick and Brunel. Am I correct in thinking that the only recognisable extant building is the little parade of shops behind the distant tram?
Last edited by jim on Fri 29 Apr, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

jim wrote:Good one uncle mick. Am I correct in thinking that the only recognisable extant building is the little parade of shops behind the distant tram?
I don't know the answer jim

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Brunel wrote:CHAPELTOWN ROAD LS7

Similar view today: http://tinyurl.com/j2q49fz
What's the church on the RHS (assuming it's a church)?

Didn't realise that the 1 tram ran up Chapeltown Road.

hyperioncantlogin

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

Lower part of Chapeltown Road outside St Clements church,8 July 1955, Chamberlain car no 142 heads for Lawnswood. picture from Leeds Trams since 1950 by Graham H.E. Twidale.

jim

Post by jim »

Leeds trams mostly ran from one Leeds terminus to another via the city centre, and carried numbers commensurate with their destination. A Lawnswood route number one tram would not run UP Chapeltown Road to Moortown, that would be a number two, but a number one could well run DOWN Chapeltown Road, as the Lawnswood trams originated from Moortown or from Roundhay (which was route three) for many years.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

The question has been answered on Leedsface both Brunel & hyperion are correct

Here's the link for anyone on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/leedsfa ... 302993516/

LS1

Post by LS1 »

jim wrote:Leeds trams mostly ran from one Leeds terminus to another via the city centre, and carried numbers commensurate with their destination. A Lawnswood route number one tram would not run UP Chapeltown Road to Moortown, that would be a number two, but a number one could well run DOWN Chapeltown Road, as the Lawnswood trams originated from Moortown or from Roundhay (which was route three) for many years.
If this tram is running down Chapeltown Road (which it is) then the church is not St Clements as that was on the other side (west side) of Chapeltown Road.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

My memory is not what it was but I never spent time in any Church in Chappy Road but did spend much time in The Roscoe Pub which I think was nearly opposite, maybe a little higher up