Where is this ??

How well do you know Leeds?
hyperioncantlogin

Re: Where is this ??

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

Hi LS1 Just had a look at Old-maps and your right, them looked at graham Twidales tram book the source of the picture.The tram is indeed outside of St Clements Church to the left of the picture and not in view (behind the railings) He never said the church in view was St Clements. or am i being pedantic

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

hyperioncantlogin wrote:Hi LS1 Just had a look at Old-maps and your right, them looked at graham Twidales tram book the source of the picture.The tram is indeed outside of St Clements Church to the left of the picture and not in view (behind the railings) He never said the church in view was St Clements. or am i being pedantic
http://tithemaps.leeds.gov.uk/PrintPort ... ab=R1&srch

hyperioncantlogin

Thanks for the map Uncle Mick,i see some of Brunels benchmarks must have bitten the dust.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I think its reasonable to assume if a photo is referenced to by being by a church and there is a church in the photo then the church is one and the same. If the church in question is out of shot, even slightly, then the reference should explicitly state that to avoid the confusion we have seen.

Leodis says this is the methodist chapel. I think it is the Sunday school shown on the tithe map with the chapel just visible to the left.Image
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=7038

The northern edge of the Sunday school and the chapel can be seen on the left side of the original photo.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

hyperioncantlogin

Hi Tyke bhoy, I think this book is aimed at people of a certain age who are very knowledgeable about the tram system. And areas of leeds. when you use public transport as most people did at that time you soon get to know your city ,as you probably know.The Author makes many referances to locations just off picture,so i presume the author would think his viewers knew St Clements Church.But i may be talking out of my A--e. I realy like how threads evolves on this site.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Just for clarity.

The church seen behind the tram is The Roscoe Place Methodist Chapel.

St. Clems. is opposite.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

And for further clarity the answer to Jim's question below is yes. As seen in a screenshot of street view
Chapeltown road.GIF
Chapeltown road.GIF (204.65 KiB) Viewed 15625 times
jim wrote:Good one uncle mick and Brunel. Am I correct in thinking that the only recognisable extant building is the little parade of shops behind the distant tram?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks tyke bhoy. It's several years since I passed that way.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

hyperioncantlogin wrote:Hi LS1 Just had a look at Old-maps and your right, them looked at graham Twidales tram book the source of the picture.The tram is indeed outside of St Clements Church to the left of the picture and not in view (behind the railings) He never said the church in view was St Clements. or am i being pedantic
Maybe a little :-). The implication is that the church in view is St Clements, when in actual fact it is to the left out of view. As Brunel points out church and Sunday School in view is the Roscoe Place Methodist Chapel.