Not really a what and where, but more a Why?

How well do you know Leeds?
simonm

Post by simonm »

Don't know where else to put this, but I found out tonight why Charlie Cake park in Armley is named so. Anyone else? Not very difficult, but seeing how I never knew the origin for years I got all excited when I found out earlier.Well?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

According to Leodis :The name Charlie Cake was thought to be derived from that of a Pudsey pedlar called Charlie who sold cakes in the area. Thought to be a spicy shortbread, they cost a 1d each. Anyone buying a dozen was given a free cake. Charlie is reputed to have rested and fed his horse on the way home in the park.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

simonm

Post by simonm »

buggery, bo**ocks, tw*t, sh*t, crap!! I was reet excited at the prospect of finding this out.. I never thought to look on leodis for info... bugger it, ya Spoilsport
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

simonm wrote: buggery, bo**ocks, tw*t, sh*t, crap!! I was reet excited at the prospect of finding this out.. I never thought to look on leodis for info... bugger it, ya Spoilsport Sorry mate!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.